LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Louisiana's Fastest Growing Hunting Sport

Old August 11th, 2016
Board of Directors
Backstrap Bloodhounds
Exclamation Hog Health

LSU Study finds water contaminated in Central LA.

http://www.louisianasportsman.com/de...eid=b3d8628ff3

Not good for us, nor our game.

Last edited by Lyle Savant; August 12th, 2016 at 08:45 AM.
Old August 12th, 2016
Executive Member

Yep, seems like it affects every other animal except the hogs. Didn't see a hog on my lease before 2010. Since then i see more hogs and less deer every year. I know that some of these diseases causes deer and cows to abort their fawns and calves. The last couple of years I have pics of pregnant does but later in the season I see very few spotted fawns. If this keeps up, pretty soon all I'll have is hogs.
Old August 12th, 2016
Chairman

LSU tested two bodies of water on Forest Service property. I knew there were hogs in the area so I made them a map as to where the ponds were. Both came back positive for all sorts of nasty stuff. I still say we need to introduce a disease that will wipe out all feral hogs. If it takes out the domestic herd as well, so be it. We need to hit the reset button. I can live without bacon for a few years.
Old August 12th, 2016
Executive Member

Yeah,, I don't understand the concept of this management that the state and Federal gov. has on hogs in this state.. With the population of hogs known to increase the way they do,, why is it that NWR's and Wma"s don't institute the right rules and allow hunters to hunt HOGS in these areas yr long. These NWR's that have closed areas are breeding grounds for hogs that never get hunted by the public... So in reality , by makin these areas untouchable for deer,, now the hogs have taken it over from the deer. Now ,, they no longer allow use of dogs or use of traps on these lands and they wonder why or will wonder why the population explodes in the next 3 yrs. There is no reason why permits are not issued to hunt hogs all season long on wmas and nwr's,,, only by this method will the numbers stay manageable...
Old August 12th, 2016
Chairman

The state and the feds should open 1 WMA every weekend during the non-deer hunting months for hog hunting. Just make a schedule and go from one WMA to the next. LDWF could work check stations and draw blood for testing. There is just ZERO trust in hunters. They think everybody is going to shoot deer instead of hogs.
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2016
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
The state and the feds should open 1 WMA every weekend during the non-deer hunting months for hog hunting. Just make a schedule and go from one WMA to the next. LDWF could work check stations and draw blood for testing. There is just ZERO trust in hunters. They think everybody is going to shoot deer instead of hogs.
you rite,,, there is no excuse to refuse access to these areas,, under a well managed system the hog population could be easily put under control instead of ldwf using their night vision gear ,,killin these animals and leaving them to rot on side of roadways and levees.. Shutting down seasons and shortening available hunting is surely not going to address the overpopulation of these animals ... I will go so far as to say this,,, I can guarantee if ldwf or the feds want to reduce the hog pop.,, they simply would have to open a draw system and only accept a certain amount of hunters for each designated area.. Each hunting party be assigned a volunteer or employee to be with them at all times,,, if this was done during the summer months,, I can guarantee the numbers would be in check by yr number 3. Use of dogs ,, traps, and hunting will control the population but if you keep choppin hunters heads off then there aint no way that the population will be maintained..
Old August 12th, 2016
Cajun Carnivores

I agree with what has been said. I feel the federal land rules should change to allow more practical ways of hunting hogs. Sure the rule "taken with legal means of that season" will work but not very efficient in my opinion.
Old August 12th, 2016
Executive Member
Swamp Rogues

I hate hogs! Really never been around them till this summer at new place. Had local fellas run their dogs around my stand and they got a few. Waiting to check cams next week to see how many still around.
Old August 13th, 2016
Board of Directors
Backstrap Bloodhounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post

Good idea TH. I would definitely be interested in assisting LDWF in reducing the numbers
Old August 13th, 2016
Executive Member

I have a couple questions about these test and findings. 1- was there any water quality samples before the hogs were there and 2 was there any more fecal sampling done on the other animals in these areas including birds in the areas ?