Listen Now

Run-N-Gun DVD Trailer

ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Public Hunting Land Profiles > General Public Lands Discussion > Attakapas WMA

Attakapas WMA 27,962 Acres: St. Mary, St. Martin, & Iberia Parishes

Old September 11th, 2015
Default Teal season approaches as water falls

Made a trip to the camp this weekend, did some Bass fishing and scouting. Didn't see many birds in the areas we checked. The water's downward plunge will help to concentrate the few birds that we do have. However, its going to make getting into certain places a little more difficult than we would appreciate. Conditions change from year to year and we all know that, be it vegetation growth, water clarity, sand bar formations, bank erosion, log jam formation, beaver dam fabrication, ect ect. This year is no different from years past. The rich basin water ways continue to silt and deposit year after year. Places where you could enter in at 4-5 ft, you now need 6 ft of water. That's the name of the game, and you just have to spend your time on the water and change with the times I suppose.

The deer sign appears to be as promising as the mosquito activity. The only downfall to low water is more acreage for them to disperse and browse on new growth. I did visit a few of my favorite oaks. None have begun dropping yet. I expect to see them visited by the deer as soon as they do in the next few weeks once the acorn crop commences. Oct 1-15 is Bucks only with either sex followed Oct 16-Feb 15. Bow season will be closed on the Attackapas during youth rifle so refer to your WMA schedule in the LDWF manual.