Run-N-Gun DVD Trailer

ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Fishing > Offshore Fishing

Offshore Fishing Tuna, Snapper, Amberjack, Cobia, Etc.

Old September 19th, 2013
Horn Stars

Just sold a 22' catamaran a little over a year ago. If you are going to do it and I suggest you think about the next few sentences. Are you going to foot the entire bill for people to fish? What truck do you currently drive? How far of a tow are you looking at from home? Are you going to want to do some bay fishing like in Breton sound? Are you going to use the boat for river recreation? Twins! Are a must! Two fuel tanks are great also. 1 kw transducer for bottom fishing. Learn to fish wrecks and demolished rigs not just what you can see. Don't buy the cheap stuff. You will be replacing in within a year. Make sure you have a group of guys that know what they are doing and help out with cost. If they have their own gear then great. Read and research, look at charts, people lie about where to go. Look at a dusky in Florida. Solid transom and lifetime warranty if you buy the boat new. I will be buying one of these next with twin 150's. Half ton towable and good/tolerable fuel economy. Fish boxes do not keep ice. Get something like a Yeti, grizzly, iceetec, Engle, etc you won't regret it. Any more questions pm me and we can talk and I will go much more in depth.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old September 19th, 2013

Lots of great info! I'll respond more when I get home. I live in Alexandria and drive a Tundra 4x4 with the 5.7 V8. I doubt I would fish much during deer season but other times of the year probably once a month. I would feel better with twins.
Old September 19th, 2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Rossie View Post
Ha you'll be spending 50k in motors alone (if you're lucky). He's talking off shore...a 23' bay boat with a 250hp ani't gonna swing it..not even if it was twin 250's.

A fishing ready full rig with equipment and electronics is gonna push far over 100k. AND you still don't have any fuel in it..you'll be spending close to 1k for every weekend trip.

If you plan on just making "several" trips stick to chartering. The only real reason you would want your own rig is if you plan on going **** near every weekend (including winter) and have plenty buddy's to pitch in on expenses. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket to buy your own rig- chartering is the way to go.
He doesn't have to buy a brand new rig and if you read my post its what I meant about not going crazy. You don't have to have twin 350 yamahas either heck I've been 90 miles offshore with twin Suzuki 90s and you don't even have to have twins. Of course it would be safer lol and scour the pages of boats for sale right now and you will find plenty of them setup ready to fish offshore besides rods and ancillary items around 50k. Sure he could go spend a cool half a million on a bad *** yellowfin.
Old September 19th, 2013
Banned

After doing a quick search on Boat Trader man there are tons of rigs out there for well under 50k.

Not a bad starter rig here.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...g-27-102067297
Old September 19th, 2013

I was thinking more along the lines of 50K if possible. I'm not sure if I'll dump 75K into a boat or not. I would have to do some heavy number crunching before writing that check.
Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2013
Outdoor Freaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtech82nd View Post
He doesn't have to buy a brand new rig and if you read my post its what I meant about not going crazy. You don't have to have twin 350 yamahas either heck I've been 90 miles offshore with twin Suzuki 90s and you don't even have to have twins. Of course it would be safer lol and scour the pages of boats for sale right now and you will find plenty of them setup ready to fish offshore besides rods and ancillary items around 50k. Sure he could go spend a cool half a million on a bad *** yellowfin.
Twin 350's were so two years ago... Lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379617989.594597.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	75589

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old September 19th, 2013
Chairman

Check sites in fla. during this fall and winter. Boats are always cheaper during off season and many people in fla buy for status and not fishing. Bigger pool to pick from
Old September 19th, 2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrutt View Post
Twin 350's were so two years ago... Lol

Attachment 75589

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
LOL yea I saw 5 of em on a Fountain. I wouldn't do 350s the extra weight doesn't seem to justify the power gain. You have 300s right?
Old September 19th, 2013
Banned

I wouldn't even do a Yellowfin if it were me and I had a unlimited budget without going convertible. It would be a Freeman 40 cause I'm a cat fella.

http://www.billyblack.com/videos/Video-Freeman40.html
Old September 19th, 2013

What length should I be looking for? 22+ right?