Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Predator Hunting

Predator Hunting Gators, Coyotes, Foxes, Bobcats, & More

Old August 21st, 2012
Default Trapping a yote

Anyone have any ideas on how to trap a yote? I have head sardines are good and also watermelon. I am trying to stay away from road kill as bait because this will be in my yard. I had a problem the other night and want to get rid of them. I live in a good size neighborhood and shooting them is a last resort if at all possible. When the get in the cage then they are going to be dead. Thanks for the info
Old August 21st, 2012
Chairman

If you catch one, that's a $100 bill all day long. All you need is a contact to get rid of it.
Old August 21st, 2012

lots of people snare them, but i dont think that would work if its coming in your yard, unless it was going through a fence or underneath a fence
Old August 22nd, 2012
Board of Directors

Sardines all you are going to catch is neighbors cats, coons, and opossums. Look at trapping supplies store and go with a curiosity lure that will narrow down catch. Something with maybe a food and scent attractant. I've had luck with a skunk based lure don't worry it's toned down won't smell up your backyard. FYI it's extremely hard to catch a yore in a cage trap. Cover that thing full of grass and sticks exc. To make it look like a den, try try your best not touch with bare hands unless they are very used to humans. Also maybe some chicken for bait with a splash of coyote urine around the entrance, this will keep all other animals away and make a yote wNt to know who's this intruder on my turf and how dare he build a den on my territory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 22nd, 2012
Executive Member

Snares are the ticket if there is a fence he is going through, or under, like said above. If it is just an open back yard, foot trap, or collar um. I think it's called a collar um. It is a spring loaded semi circle that has a snare around it. When the yote pulls on the bait, it slings the snare up around it's neck. I have never used one, but have played with one a bit, and the guy I know that have used them like them for neighborhood applications. Animal control here uses them with pretty good success.
Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2012
Executive Member
Visit Derick.Duhon's Facebook

Trap a 5.56 round in his brain
Old August 22nd, 2012
Board of Directors

I would use a soft grip leg trap before I put snares in a neighborhood the jaws are lined with pads I'd hate to someone pet being caught up in a cable snare

Old August 22nd, 2012
Board of Directors
Default Yotes

I use to trap them,and the Yote is by far the hardest to catch than a Bobcat, & Fox.Scent free is number 1 thing to remember and I mean scent free.I used steel traps rubbed in ashes from a fire.Use rubber gloves and preferbly hip boots if you have em or rubber boots.Nail the chain on the trap with fence post staples to a log like a piece of heavy firewood about 2 ft. long.Next find a flat place and dig a hole with a garden or flower trowel small shovel.Dig the hole just big enough to set the trap in with a 1 in space around it and about 4 in deep or leaving yourself about 2 in below ground surface.I always would use a piece of rabbit fur and lay in the bottom of the hole first then lay the trap on top level as possible.Then take a piece cheese cloth cut the dia. of the jaws and lay on top of the trap.Try to find some good dry dirt from the same area and I use to use one of those old flour sifters and sift the dirt over the trap and cheese cl. very careful like.You want the dirt fine almost like flour.Cover the entire trap but leave the hole a little below natural ground level just a little.Its makes them think some hid it there.Make sure everything you touch is scent free.You'll catch the dumbs ones first.I have seen them take there paw and scratch all the way around the trap without ever setting it off if they think something is up.He want get to far dragging the trap.But I know you said your in a neighbor hood so warn them if you can to the dogs put up.Sounds like alot of work but if you want to catch wiley coyote you have to be smarter than him.Good Luck
Old August 22nd, 2012
Board of Directors

Dirt hole sets are my favorite but like he said this is a neighborhood

Old September 14th, 2012

Yotes were killing my chickens and I used two traps covered with burlap and hay. Both traps together one with a live chicken in it ; caught a few in a couple weeks. But not close together in days. After you set it up spray it down with the water hose.And I also killed a bunch at the camp but I can't t tell you about it in this setting.GOOD LUCK!!