Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Old June 26th, 2011
Executive Member
Show Stoppers
Visit JTHOMP's Facebook
Default Beautiful

Joyce WMA for some reason has always fascinated me, even though I've never even stepped foot on it. Well today I decided to go down the swamp walk. At the very end of the walk a few hundred yards out the swamp opens up to a marsh with MANY wood ducks and different types of wading birds. Its kind of hard to see because of the distance but its truly a spectacular sight none the less. I hope to make a few trips by boat out there soon so I can get a good view of everything. I've looked at the map many times but I still don't know how to get to that section by a boat. If anyone could share some info I'd appreciate it
Old July 8th, 2011
Default x2

Me and you both, I went out there last month with the pirogue and to get to that open marsh if possible, but its by no means a thing were you drop the boat in and go. Where you want to go would involve launching at South Slough at the most northern end of the mgmt area and then paddling for a couple miles until the break, then you'd get out and walk to the marsh or take it to the right (S/Southeast), well maybe with this rain some of it would be possible to paddle after dragging the pirogue or boat. Look at the Thread I had about this below this one. There some helpful info in there. I just got a new go devil so I'm thinking about launching at Northern Pass and checking out middle bayou and mire canal. And also, checking out black bayou/tangihipoa river on the far east side. Send me a message if you want to ride out there some time. I've made it my goal to tackle this mgmt area next year.

If you do go, bring a whole LOT a bug spray and a thermacell, I got tore up by the horse flies. Sellers Canal and South Slough alone is a beautiful paddle, you'll see plenty of egrets/storks, alligators, fish and a wood duck here and there. Go to Ducks.org and use the sattelite image of migration map, flashearth.com or googlemaps.com to check out the routes from the sky.

Any of you guys launch off the side of 51 in the numerous canals, ditches, flooded areas etc. on the side of the road? That might not be a bad idea, I'm going to give that a shot as well. Just need to get some weekends off.

-Chase
Old July 24th, 2011
Executive Member
Show Stoppers
Visit JTHOMP's Facebook

I wish I could hunt it but I'm in Lafayette during hunting season. I might try to make a trip or two out there before the semester starts though