Listen Now

Run-N-Gun DVD Trailer

ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Public Hunting Land Profiles > General Public Lands Discussion > Pearl River WMA

Pearl River WMA 35,032 Acres: St. Tammany Parish

Old December 27th, 2014
Default Anyone hunting primitive?

New to LA and Bayou Bucks...........first post here.

I just relocated to River Ridge from PA. I was hoping to check out some of the WMA's further north, but with limited time I think my best bet is to stay close to home for this year.

I am off until Friday and was thinking about giving Pearl River a shot. Anyone plan on hunting there this week and want to team up?

Give me a shout.
Old December 27th, 2014
Board of Directors

welcome to Bayou Bucks and to Louisiana. i hunt alot in pearl river, it is one of the toughest areas to hunt. i have also been hunting bogue chitto nwr, it is a little easier to hunt. Big Branch offers some good hunting also and it is bow only. From river ridge, most of the better public lands are a bit of a drive. i cant make a hunt during the week except on new years day, gotta work. you can plan on lots of scouting no matter which one you decide to hunt. if you have any questions we all would be glad to help answer them.
Old December 27th, 2014

Thanks for the welcome.

How is foot access at Bogue Chitto? Pearl River looks like it has some trails into the interior, where as you have to bush whack or float into Bogue Chitto.

Am I off base here?

I am also interested in Big Branch, but with relocating I have not shot my bow in quite a while and don't have easy access to an archery range.
Old December 27th, 2014
Board of Directors

there is a nice 3d range in belle chase, ill have to look up the info on them for you. foot access to bogue chitto is offered at the turn around just past pearl river, and from the locks on the other side around bush and bogalusa. i have been walking in around lock 3. going to try to work on my flat boat if this rain stops so i can start accessing by boat.
Old December 27th, 2014

After looking at the hunt dates for Bogue Chitto, it looks like I'm limited to Pearl River this week.

Will roads be passable? They are calling for minor flooding.............this is something new to me. Never had to deal with this up north.
Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2014
Board of Directors

if the river stage for pearl river at pearl river gets to 16.5 ft, then pearl river wma is closed. if it gets to 15.5 ft then bogue chitto is closed
Old December 27th, 2014
Board of Directors

they are predicting 15.5ft by friday. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419731214.710692.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	91284 so you should be good at pearl river all week. the sloughs will be high and hard to cross tho.
Old December 27th, 2014

Thanks for the info.

I'd think the rising water could actually help concentrate game on the higher ground.

I only have one hurdle left to overcome.............I stopped at academy for some some pyrodex and was shocked to learn they don't carry it. I asked where else I could buy some and the guy at the counter just gave me a blank stare.

I can't believe it is so hard to find around here. Back in PA you can buy it at Walmart, ****'s or just about anywhere.

Hopefully I can find some tomorrow............otherwise I'll have to stick to bucks only rifle hunting one of the WMA's that are further away.
Old December 28th, 2014
Executive Member
Bayou State Boneheads

It's hard to find any type of black powder equipment
Must if not all who hunt primitive use breech loading guns such as 45/70,444 or 35 Whelan your best bet is to go to cabalas r bass pro shop. Hope this will help you