Listen Now

Run-N-Gun DVD Trailer

ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Public Hunting Land Profiles > General Public Lands Discussion > Tunica Hills WMA

Tunica Hills WMA 5,905 Acres: West Feliciana Parish

Old December 8th, 2015

We all just need to "stalk" deer, or as I like to call it, SPOOK deer like you. I would like to know how many deer you have stalked and killed on tunica with your bow. It seems to me through your posts, you have seen a lot of deer walking around and scaring the s*** out of them. That's what is so bad about the "primitive weapon" hunters. Look at data for the week after primitive weapon season and nothing is ever killed because the deer are so spooked. We spend and have spent a lot of time in those woods Jeff. Years and years.
Old December 8th, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurhunter View Post
We all just need to "stalk" deer, or as I like to call it, SPOOK deer like you. I would like to know how many deer you have stalked and killed on tunica with your bow. It seems to me through your posts, you have seen a lot of deer walking around and scaring the s*** out of them. That's what is so bad about the "primitive weapon" hunters. Look at data for the week after primitive weapon season and nothing is ever killed because the deer are so spooked. We spend and have spent a lot of time in those woods Jeff. Years and years.
Well said. Nothing pisses me off more than to get in your stand an hour or more before daylight and then have someone walking up on you a half hour after daylight trying to stalk a **** deer with a bow. Talk about wanna vomit!!!!
Old December 9th, 2015

Tunica isn't hard to hunt because of the elevation changes. It isn't hard to hunt because of how thick parts of it are. It isn't hard to hunt because of all the first timers going out there stomping around. It isn't hard to hunt because the wind swirls. It isn't hard to hunt because if you actually kill a deer you could put in a lot of effort getting it out.

There is one reason Tunica has such low kill numbers - The whole thing is exactly the same to people who don't know it intimately. The subtle details that create patterns or tendencies in the herd are not learned overnight, nor are they terribly consistent once uncovered. I've hunted there a long time, and have only a couple of spots I have any real confidence in. The fact of the matter is that the deer can bed, and feed, on 85% of the property. They basically bounce around to avoid pressure. You could say that this is due to pressure, but it's not. Highly pressured deer just go fully nocturnal in places with clearly defined bedding and feeding areas. But they still eat and sleep in the same place. Tunica deer don't see any more pressure than any other property in the state. They just live in one big pile of food and thickets. They are happy eating or sleeping just about anywhere on the property. I'm also willing to bet that a large number of deer are jumped and never seen or heard by people scouting or walking to a stand. They hear smell or see you long before you know where they are. That's not due to pressure, its due to the fact that it is all the same. No matter which wind, elevation level, time of day you move through the property, your chances of seeing deer remain the same.

Also, even though it is surrounded by private land, that allows gun hunting, these same truths extend there. Those folks don't hunt during the week so pressure remains consistent with the WMA, and the deer don't recognize property lines. There is just an even larger block of the same terrain for the deer to roam.

The fact of the matter is you can work your tail off identifying sign and trails and what not. You can practice scent control and play the wind. You can get as far away from other hunters as is possible. And your odds are still low. Not because there are no deer there. Or because someone else is hunting nearby, or has recently tramped through your spot. Your odds are low because we aren't playing Poker. Your intelligence cannot overcome biology. It's a game of Roulette, and the board is 5000 acres of sameness.

If your goal in hunting Tunica is to have a high rate of seeing deer while in your stand, I think you'll be disappointed. If you want to look at pretty land, while getting a workout, with an outside chance of getting a deer within bow range, this is the property for you.
Old December 9th, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyler1945 View Post
Tunica isn't hard to hunt because of the elevation changes. It isn't hard to hunt because of how thick parts of it are. It isn't hard to hunt because of all the first timers going out there stomping around. It isn't hard to hunt because the wind swirls. It isn't hard to hunt because if you actually kill a deer you could put in a lot of effort getting it out.

There is one reason Tunica has such low kill numbers - The whole thing is exactly the same to people who don't know it intimately. The subtle details that create patterns or tendencies in the herd are not learned overnight, nor are they terribly consistent once uncovered. I've hunted there a long time, and have only a couple of spots I have any real confidence in. The fact of the matter is that the deer can bed, and feed, on 85% of the property. They basically bounce around to avoid pressure. You could say that this is due to pressure, but it's not. Highly pressured deer just go fully nocturnal in places with clearly defined bedding and feeding areas. But they still eat and sleep in the same place. Tunica deer don't see any more pressure than any other property in the state. They just live in one big pile of food and thickets. They are happy eating or sleeping just about anywhere on the property. I'm also willing to bet that a large number of deer are jumped and never seen or heard by people scouting or walking to a stand. They hear smell or see you long before you know where they are. That's not due to pressure, its due to the fact that it is all the same. No matter which wind, elevation level, time of day you move through the property, your chances of seeing deer remain the same.

Also, even though it is surrounded by private land, that allows gun hunting, these same truths extend there. Those folks don't hunt during the week so pressure remains consistent with the WMA, and the deer don't recognize property lines. There is just an even larger block of the same terrain for the deer to roam.

The fact of the matter is you can work your tail off identifying sign and trails and what not. You can practice scent control and play the wind. You can get as far away from other hunters as is possible. And your odds are still low. Not because there are no deer there. Or because someone else is hunting nearby, or has recently tramped through your spot. Your odds are low because we aren't playing Poker. Your intelligence cannot overcome biology. It's a game of Roulette, and the board is 5000 acres of sameness.

If your goal in hunting Tunica is to have a high rate of seeing deer while in your stand, I think you'll be disappointed. If you want to look at pretty land, while getting a workout, with an outside chance of getting a deer within bow range, this is the property for you.
Before I comment on all the BS you just said, explain to me how only 16 deer have been killed so far on the entire WMA while 81 total were killed last year and in the 130's the previous two years?
Old December 9th, 2015

Quote:

THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS:

There aren't anymore deer like they used to have in Tunica. U can't add an additional week to the gun season without any restrictions other than not shooting spotted fawns. I've spoken to the LDWF for years about this subject and they once thouight the carrying cpacity was way up for the terrain in Tunica and that's why the body weights are very low. Guess what, the body weights are still verly low. 8pts killed there are still 110 to 120lbs. My buddy killed a 9pt last Saturday and it weighed 120lbs. It's the type of deer herd and not the amount of browse they have to eat. The wind swirling in the hills in Tunica have everything to do with having success or not over there. Hard to kill a deer there if the wind is not in your favor when hunting in the bottoms. The ridges are wide open so the deer rarely use the ridge tops in daylight hours. I know several guys that hunt the surrouinding areas and they are saying the same thing because they are hunting the same deer as us. Several people that I have talked to in the past during the gun season are there for one reason and one reason only. To kill deer for meat becasue they have restrictions on there lease. If one family has three kids that hunt, then that don't leave much for them to kill as a family so they come to good Ol Tunica WMA to shoot anything and everything they see.
Sponsored Links
Old December 9th, 2015

Hunted Tunica since 94. You are incorrect to think that bordering properties don't hunt during the week. I know lots of those folks. Trust me they hunt during the week.
Quote:

Old December 9th, 2015

I can't speak to the numbers of deer killed. If the changes are that drastic, then obviously there are other factors at play. I'm sure the state will adjust if 10-20% of the deer killed three years ago were killed this year. My personal experience is I have the same numbers of opportunities to kill deer as in years past.

If the argument being made that the reason we don't see deer at tunica is because everyone comes to tunica to kill everything they see, then how could everyone come to tunica to kill everything they see when nothing is being seen. I'm assuming we're speaking to the past of allowing the gun season, and the reason we are now not seeing deer is just that. Otherwise this doesn't really make any sense.

I'm just going by the number of vehicles I see parked at campsites of leases surrounding the wma on the rare occasion I get up there during the week. It's typically when the weather is better for hunting (the reason for me going) and I generally don't see the numbers of folks during the week that I do on the weekend. Just making the point that I don't think the deer see a drastically different amount of pressure on private vs public land in that area. These are observations from the outside. There might be a handful of clubs I don't pass that have every single member hunting every day of the week and killing everything they see and I wouldn't know. I allow for unknowns, I'm making generalized statements based on what I see.

I'm speaking to my own experience of hunting the area, and honestly it hasn't changed, for me, in 15 years. I've sharpened my own hunting skills, so I know that is a factor. But I don't jump less deer walking in or out, or scouting. I don't see less sign. I don't have a significantly reduced occurrence of deer sightings while hunting. They were just never high to begin with out there, I guess is my point. Maybe other folks have seen their success rates drop and that's where this is coming from. I just have a hard time believing that the herd dynamic has changed that much.

Honestly, my post was more to give folks considering hunting the wma another perspective. People may read it and see that it may not be their type of hunting, without wasting their valuable time off of work or away from family to go try it. It isn't for everyone, and it is a little different type of hunting than other areas in the state.
Old December 9th, 2015

Quote:
I can't speak to the numbers of deer killed. If the changes are that drastic, then obviously there are other factors at play. I'm sure the state will adjust if 10-20% of the deer killed three years ago were killed this year. My personal experience is I have the same numbers of opportunities to kill deer as in years past.

If the argument being made that the reason we don't see deer at tunica is because everyone comes to tunica to kill everything they see, then how could everyone come to tunica to kill everything they see when nothing is being seen. I'm assuming we're speaking to the past of allowing the gun season, and the reason we are now not seeing deer is just that. Otherwise this doesn't really make any sense.

I'm just going by the number of vehicles I see parked at campsites of leases surrounding the wma on the rare occasion I get up there during the week. It's typically when the weather is better for hunting (the reason for me going) and I generally don't see the numbers of folks during the week that I do on the weekend. Just making the point that I don't think the deer see a drastically different amount of pressure on private vs public land in that area. These are observations from the outside. There might be a handful of clubs I don't pass that have every single member hunting every day of the week and killing everything they see and I wouldn't know. I allow for unknowns, I'm making generalized statements based on what I see.

I'm speaking to my own experience of hunting the area, and honestly it hasn't changed, for me, in 15 years. I've sharpened my own hunting skills, so I know that is a factor. But I don't jump less deer walking in or out, or scouting. I don't see less sign. I don't have a significantly reduced occurrence of deer sightings while hunting. They were just never high to begin with out there, I guess is my point. Maybe other folks have seen their success rates drop and that's where this is coming from. I just have a hard time believing that the herd dynamic has changed that much.

Honestly, my post was more to give folks considering hunting the wma another perspective. People may read it and see that it may not be their type of hunting, without wasting their valuable time off of work or away from family to go try it. It isn't for everyone, and it is a little different type of hunting than other areas in the state.
There is no doubt in my mind that over 95% of the clubs around Tunica have rules as to what can be killed and how many. It's a fact so how can you justify letting anyone hunt a WMA kill anything they see? I've looked at the kill data for the last 7 years or so on Tunica and the amount of .5 to 1.5yr old deer killed during the gun season is unbelievable. Over 50% of the deer killed each year are in the gun season and most of those are the young deer. Iv'e also talked to some hunters that have been hunting that place since the opener and they say the same thing. I'm not suggesting putting a horn restriction on the WMA but at least limit the amount of days during the gun season. I have two sons and for the last two years they haven't had an opportuntiy to harvest a deer. Talk about frustrating. I sat with my 10yr old for the Youth Weekend and the last two weekends for the gun season and we only saw one fawn.
Old December 9th, 2015
Default 3 wheeler bandits

Remember the 3 wheeler bandits?? Haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman View Post
Well said. Nothing pisses me off more than to get in your stand an hour or more before daylight and then have someone walking up on you a half hour after daylight trying to stalk a **** deer with a bow. Talk about wanna vomit!!!!
Old December 9th, 2015

I've hunted for the better part of three years and the hunting doesn't get good until the colder weather gets in.

When you see mosquitos and banana spiders carrying you away and squirrels, SQUIRRELS. I know it is this weather.

But don't give up. In the next three weeks stories will be different.