Listen Now

Run-N-Gun DVD Trailer

ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Public Hunting Land Profiles > General Public Lands Discussion > Sherburne WMA

Sherburne WMA 44,000 Acres: Pointe Coupee, St. Martin, & Iberville Parishes

Old December 11th, 2017
Default South Farm lottery

Got picked for the south farm lottery hunt this wknd. Just was wondering what I should expect. From the little bit of googling I did, sounds like I need to bring a ton of stuff. Everything from decoys to blind material? Kinda sounds like a PITA. Just looking for any tips and to make sure it's worth my while. If anyone can lend a hand or some tips I can invite you along. Thanks in advance.
Old December 11th, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou_bengal View Post
Got picked for the south farm lottery hunt this wknd. Just was wondering what I should expect. From the little bit of googling I did, sounds like I need to bring a ton of stuff. Everything from decoys to blind material? Kinda sounds like a PITA. Just looking for any tips and to make sure it's worth my while. If anyone can lend a hand or some tips I can invite you along. Thanks in advance.
Good luck. My neighbor has been before and said it was ok. I'll be working on the rig. Let us know how it goes. For me, at least, hunting is about the whole experience. Killing is just a part of it [emoji847]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old December 11th, 2017

I went to sherburne this past Friday and there was about 20 ducks in all the ponds. No ducks to speak off. I would not even go if I was picked
Old December 13th, 2017
Default South Farm Hunt

Scout, Scout, Scout, and Scout! We hunted south farm for early teal season which was horrible due to the lack of water and birds. We scouted a week before and the exact day before opening day. The water was sporadic at best and grass was overgrown in most places. Go early in the morning and just sit on top the observation deck and see where the birds, if any are going to land because chances are that's where the food is going to be. Once everything is settled down, we went walk around the entire south farm area to see what had the best water to food ratio, which at the time was i believe in area 4. I'm sure they have flooded the ponds better now since it is for the lottery hunt. As far as a blind goes, we just put our waders on and either stood in the marsh grass or laid down in the short marsh grass along the bank and it worked for us. There were 5 teal total checked in when we left opening day and we had 3 of them, so although there were not many birds, the scouting did pay off and got us on the few birds they did have. I would also recommend going lite on the decoys. I would say about 1 1/2-2 dozen would suffice for south farm, and maybe a mojo or jerk rig, if you have one to get there attention. Good luck to y'all!
Old December 14th, 2017
Default Lottery

For the duck lottery hunts I believe it is basically luck as to what pond u get picked to hunt. I used to go on Tuesday morns which were drawn that morning, they used to draw numbers to puck pond u wanted but I believe last time I went which was years ago they had started drawing numbers for the pond u get. No choice in other words. It’s def not like teal
Season where u hunt where u want. Wardens bring you to your pond if you don’t have atv. We used to make a blind using rabbit wiring attaching grass to them and having stakes on the sides. Wore waders and sat in water. Sometimes there are blinds made of natural stuff already in the ponds. But by having prefab blind we could huntvwherever we wanted which had to be a certain distance off the levee. We would bring 2 sacks decoys. Made mistake last time I ever went did not bring mojo pond next to us had one and most the ducks would work us first than bomb their mojo. They shot 3 man limit of ducks and had few specks. If u get lucky and get drawn the right pond if the day u can do well. Or get bad luck get wrong pond and not shoot! The wardens usually knew what pond the birds were using at the time and where in the pond to set up. Talk to them they were always helpful. Wear waders the water in most ponds was very deep on edges over hip boot depth in every pond I ever hunted. It’s been at least 7 years since I’ve been there tho.

Last edited by widgeon6; December 14th, 2017 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Add info
Sponsored Links