Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Louisiana's Fastest Growing Hunting Sport

Old January 2nd, 2018
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds

With the advances in technology maybe they need to create a pig seeking hog killing drone that can fly through the woods and shoot them. With heat seeking sensors there would be no where for them to hide. Just a cool sci-fi fantasy of a toy I'd love to operate!
Old January 2nd, 2018
Board of Directors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Here's an issue I've yet to read about. Bears often drag off and eat my hog carcasses in the woods b4 the vultures and yotes get to them. That's a huge drawback with no solution If The dead hog's carcass is still toxic. Because the bear eats every part of the hog.

Also a sick animal often goes to water to die. How will it affect the fish and snapping turtles that them. Of the crawfish which will then get eaten by the bass. I see many untapped about consequences to after the fact of the hog dying. How does it affect the vultures? Because lead bullets have hurt the condor america's largest flying birdreproduction out west.

I've seen several hog carcasses completely torn up by the alligator snappers in one night. Also the aligators eat that too.

Many of the places I hunt I see 10 deer to every hog and the hog population never seems to increase after many years and the pigs are rare just from ppl hunting and trapping. I do believe hard hunting, dog hunting and trapping could be effective in some areas and a March season after bucks drop horns and b4 turkey season is what a warden wanted that I talked to.
Bogue Chitto NWR has that. And i assure u there is a big crew out of Walkii Bluff, Ms that doesn't miss a day.

https://www.fws.gov/southeast/pubs/b...hitto_hunt.pdf
Old January 2nd, 2018

All for eradication. I just don't think poison is the way to go about it.
Old January 3rd, 2018
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8upbowhunter View Post
I am certainly not for keeping the hogs around, I just donít trust them to do it right without killing a bunch of other non targeted species of animals and possibly birds. Heck they canít seem to manage the deer herd very well much less put poison out that only will affect the hog population. Thats the only reason I am against poison at this point.

8upbowhunter
>>>---------->
This is the point ,, along with what Orion says.... It has been known that gov and its ways,,, have not succeeded in everything it seeks out to do... Although,, the intentions may be right,, it don't end up with the right results... Poisoning of any eatable animal is not the way to go,,, especially on lands that the taxpayer pays to hunt yearly... I agree totally that hogs are detrimental to the environment if left unmanaged,, but with that said there are several ways that they can be controlled. Me and my son within the last week have trapped 21 head out of 4400 acres.. that's two people. These wma's and nwr's and forestry can be managed if the right steps are taken. Poisoning is like waving a magic wand,,,, it aint no such thing as magic.....
Old January 3rd, 2018

Hogs will never be eradicated they will continue to stay for the same reason they got started the hog hunters......
Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2018
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by high water kennels View Post
This is the point ,, along with what Orion says.... It has been known that gov and its ways,,, have not succeeded in everything it seeks out to do... Although,, the intentions may be right,, it don't end up with the right results... Poisoning of any eatable animal is not the way to go,,, especially on lands that the taxpayer pays to hunt yearly... I agree totally that hogs are detrimental to the environment if left unmanaged,, but with that said there are several ways that they can be controlled. Me and my son within the last week have trapped 21 head out of 4400 acres.. that's two people. These wma's and nwr's and forestry can be managed if the right steps are taken. Poisoning is like waving a magic wand,,,, it aint no such thing as magic.....
21 head on 4400 acres?!?! And you think that's controlling the population?

Hogs wise up to traps after a while. You have to hit them with every tool in the box, and even that may not be enough.

As long as there are people that want to see hogs on the landscape, and places where the swine cannot be hunted, trapped, or poisoned, hogs will persist. But they aren't going to open up the WMAs to hunting in the offseason, and trapping on 10s of thousands of acres is going to be mostly ineffective. What else are they supposed to do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old January 3rd, 2018
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
21 head on 4400 acres?!?! And you think that's controlling the population?

Hogs wise up to traps after a while. You have to hit them with every tool in the box, and even that may not be enough.

As long as there are people that want to see hogs on the landscape, and places where the swine cannot be hunted, trapped, or poisoned, hogs will persist. But they aren't going to open up the WMAs to hunting in the offseason, and trapping on 10s of thousands of acres is going to be mostly ineffective. What else are they supposed to do?

LOL,,,, u got it all figured out huh... we outta see about getting the ldwf a permission slip for a NUKE.. that way they can kill everything out quick and not drag it out like they doin... Im gonna keep trappin and catchin em with dogs,, while u TALK about the big pig problem and tryin to get ur poison approved... We will then see how that works out for you,,,, Im pretty happy the way we manage and have the results to show for it....
Old January 3rd, 2018
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by high water kennels View Post
LOL,,,, u got it all figured out huh... we outta see about getting the ldwf a permission slip for a NUKE.. that way they can kill everything out quick and not drag it out like they doin...
When people resort to nonsense like this, it's impossible for me to take them seriously.

Old January 3rd, 2018
Chairman

Not all poison acts like Temik. They don't just keep on killing. Many have a life span. I doubt LDWF is dumb enough to use a Temik type poison even though it would work great.
Old January 3rd, 2018
Chairman

I hear about all these disease that hogs have tested positive for. What kind of disease would actually kill a hog? I hear that when coon populations get to a certain level, disease knocks them back down. I say, find out what disease will actually kill a hog. Develop it in mass quantity in a lab somewhere. Trap a bunch of hogs, give them the disease, and turn them loose. Let them wipe out the species. If it gets into the domestic hog population, so what. This ain't hog country to begin with. We don't have a lot of domestic hogs here.