Listen Now

Run-N-Gun DVD Trailer

ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Public Hunting Land Profiles > General Public Lands Discussion > Tunica Hills WMA

Tunica Hills WMA 5,905 Acres: West Feliciana Parish

Old October 19th, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by flystraight View Post
Deer on Tunica Hills Wma should be put on the endangered Species List . It's not looking good , the harvest is way down . 2o16-17 harvest was only 60 , this is down from 130 to 150 from previous years. Many long time hunters in this area have sold there camps and started hunting out of state.
You are absolutely right on this topic. I personnaly know "flystraight". I've also been hunting there for 17yrs and it is getting down right sickening. I have buddies that bordered the South Tract and they have bailed out, sold campers and gone. I have a very hard time getting my two sons to make the Youth Hunts with me these days. Simply cannot continue to harvest record numbers of deer by opening lengthy gun seasons and not regulating them after a very poor season like we had two years ago and now last years harvest shows the effects. Only 60 deer taken. Very poor management in my book.
Old October 19th, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeMieux View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a spike in harvest numbers the first year or two after they added the 2nd week of primitive and a steady decrease since then.
No doubt. You simply cannot have the amount of hunting pressure Tunica WMA had in those years after they increased the Primitive Season from 1 week to 2 and if there was a decent amount of cold weather during that time it was that much worse. The woods have opened up tremendously in the last 10yrs where the deer didn't have enough cover to sustain that pressure. I have spoken to numerous hunters during the gun season only to find out they hunted the WMA to kill a deer for the meat becasue they had restrictions on there lease which prohibited them from taking deer. I have argued with the LDWF's about decreasing the Primitive Season back to one week for years but they simply want High Harvest numbers which make them look like they are doing a great job. Period.
Old October 21st, 2017
Visit Jeff Cain's Facebook

Hogs and snakes are plentiful, thats for sure
Old October 23rd, 2017

The amount of sign and deer sightings have definitely decreased. It gets harder and harder to justify hunting in the hills.

I can't understand why an unlimited participation primitive weapons season is a positive to anyone. The youth gun hunts, and a lottery primitive hunt on a weekend or two would be more understandable.

Until that season is reduced or removed, the deer simply won't be there. The only difference between the WMA and the thousands of acres surrounding it, is that the deer aren't shot at with guns. Putting that two week season right in the middle of peak deer movement eliminates their reason for being on the WMA in the first place.
Old October 25th, 2017
Default ...

Hunted there since 94. During the late nineties there were 21 day primitive seasons. Now there are 4 times the hunters and less than half of the cover.
Sponsored Links