Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Deer Hunting

Deer Hunting Louisiana's Elite Deer Hunting Community

Old September 11th, 2017
Default Private land...Natural hunting...Experiences?

This is going to be a long post...

In the past we have never hunted over man made feed piles i.e. corn/protein feeders/ mineral, but we do maintain these to keep deer interested in the area and in front of the camera. I have never been one to not hunt a stand/trail due to lack of trail camera pictures and often find deer are passing, but just not in front of the camera. This is especially true for mature bucks.

We scout hard late winter, post season, and are in the woods all summer hog hunting so we know our deer patterns well.

Question here is, have any of you private land guys pulled all man made food sources including food plots and strictly hunted trails, field edges, logging roads, Creek edges, etc?

We have one property that is heavily pressured. I'm thinking if we pull all man made sources we lay have better luck so long as we know where the does are at uany given point of the season

I'd love to hear any criticism and/or feedback to this methodology that you may have experienced in your past.
Old September 11th, 2017

I think on feeders and cornpiles once the season hits, MOST mature buck (4.5+) activity will be after dark.

I have done the exact same thing you are saying on over 1000+ acres of private, since neighboring properties use feeders. Here is the kicker though, corn piles attract does, and does attract bucks when they are in estrous for that short period of time. Your deer sightings will go down regardless of what you believe, and you have to be mentally tough and expect that. It's extremely hard to listen to your buddies talk about seeing 5-6 does and some young bucks, but ask yourself, "When is the last time they killed a mature buck off that feeder?". If you want the same results as them, then do what they do. If not, who cares how many deer you see, as long as when you do see a deer it's going to be a target animal. If kids are going to be hunting with you, they need the deer sightings to keep em interested, so you can do a mix and put out corn piles on a few areas, and save a few undisturbed areas as well.

I fight the same battle myself, especially on public land, and it's a hard habit to break. But understand that if you are seeing a bunch of does everyday to me, it's a sign I should be hunting somewhere else looking for ol' sad daddy, UNTIL the rut hits, then you hunt the does to find the bucks. I do feel like mature bucks pattern hunters and stationary stands more so then we give them credit for.

I have had success on mature animals with this approach, but it's minimal success, and I was extremely mobile.
Old September 11th, 2017

The problem with that method is if it's a club say, 20 plus members on 2000 acres, you can't move with the does to follow them as they change food sources. What you are left with is hunting trials and hoping something cruises through your 300 yard circle. If you plant or bait you'll pull does in and can hunt just outside the those areas in the staging areas (away from the bait) for the bucks in the thickets. This is why I hunt almost exclusively public land now and almost nothing but bow, you have a lot more room to move as the deer change major food sources and if you don't hit the big name refuges, most of the year (after opening weekend) you don't have to compete too hard for spots.
Old September 11th, 2017
Board of Directors
Backstrap Bloodhounds
Default Private land...Natural hunting...Experiences?

I hunt Public Land, but one thing that has taught me is while we think we are patterning deer, they are also patterning us.

I know guys that leased un-hunted land, set out cameras and I've never seen so many racked bucks; come hunting season they killed none with all their activity on the site with feeders etc.

Remember, your best advantage is the element of surprise; and that diminishes with everything you do to their environment.

OIIIIIIIO

Last edited by Lyle Savant; September 12th, 2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old September 13th, 2017

We hunt private land, but around areas where their is plenty of food for the deer. Our only way to keep deer around us is to feed heavy. Over the last 2 years, we have killed deer from 3.5yrs old to 8.5 yrs old. The last two I killed were 4.5 and 7.5 yrs old and they both had a mouth full of rice bran when I pulled the trigger. My daughter killed a good 3.5yr old 8 pt last year eating in the food plot for her first buck. He did pass up the corn feeder to get some greens. These bucks scored from 130" up to 173".

We do better early in the year with food as the deer are not pressured and once we can develop their pattern, as long as we have food out, they will come to it. Once the rut starts, all bets are off.

Josh
Sponsored Links