Listen Now

Run-N-Gun DVD Trailer

ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > General Outdoor Discussion

General Outdoor Discussion Archery, Shooting, Game Management, Gear, Camping, etc.

Old October 9th, 2018
Board of Directors
Default Your Idea of Perfect woods / Palmettos Gun

I use my Ruger 44 Magnum Semi Auto, but they are not made any more and if it breaks, there are no parts. I have the Nikon Slug Hunter scope.

I think a Browning Silver 20 gauge rifled barrel shooting sabots would be ideal. A heavy duplex scope on it.
Old October 9th, 2018

Lever action in 35 Remington.

https://youtu.be/P5dve7vAY9I
Old October 9th, 2018
Executive Member
Horn Stars

I grew up hunting the thick palmetto woods. Most of the guys hunted with the traditional hunting rounds/rifles. Some preferred the 30-30. I’ve always used a Remington bolt action in both 308 and 7 mag in the palmettos and never had any issues. In the thick stuff I think an accurate rifle is more valuable than a “brush buster” type rifle
Old October 9th, 2018
Board of Directors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thib454ss View Post
Lever action in 35 Remington.

https://youtu.be/P5dve7vAY9I
Yep. Great Video. I learned that a long time ago. I passed up a shot on a very large 145-150 buck in December of 1999 i think it was, with a bolt action 25.06. The shot was thru heavy brush. Big Lake Wma, heavy snow.

No, it was the year 2000. I just looked up the independence bowl. 6” snow. What a season. Killed a nice 6 on Jan 2. 9 degrees.

In the 90’s i lost one about 115 bc in Kentwood, same rifle slight brush.
Old October 9th, 2018
Board of Directors

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT1426 View Post
I grew up hunting the thick palmetto woods. Most of the guys hunted with the traditional hunting rounds/rifles. Some preferred the 30-30. I’ve always used a Remington bolt action in both 308 and 7 mag in the palmettos and never had any issues. In the thick stuff I think an accurate rifle is more valuable than a “brush buster” type rifle
I would respectfully disagree with you.
Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2018

I remember an article in Guns & Ammo mag about 20 years ago on this very subject. The author built a brush pile and shot through it at a target 10 yards behind it. He shot many calibers ranging from 223 to 458. He concluded that a pointed spitzer style 250 grain 338 win mag would be your best bet at killing deer in thick brush. In short, he said to use a long range elk round for brush hunting whitetails. I myself have only shot once at a buck through brush with a 170 grain 30-30 soft point and I didn't cut a hair. Lol.
Old October 10th, 2018
Board of Directors

I remember that article. He built a simulator out of store bought wooden dowels. The link above is the real deal.
Old October 10th, 2018
Chairman

I hear of a lot of guys using the 35 Whelen in thick stuff.
Old October 10th, 2018
Board of Directors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
I would respectfully disagree with you.
So if you already "Think" you know the answer and have an opinion why pose the question on here? I've shot a .270 in 8 foot tall palmettos and thick cut overs for 20 years now shooting through thick stuff with no issues. That extra 30-60 grains a .44 provides isn't going to make a huge difference if you are hitting brush. Most any medium to large caliber deer rifle will handle a bullet hitting some brush in close quarters and still kill the deer as long as you are not shooting ballistic tips.
Old October 10th, 2018
Executive Member
Cajun Carnivores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
I hear of a lot of guys using the 35 Whelen in thick stuff.
I think that's the way to go, along with the .444, and .45-70. I would choose one of these based on the following reasons. It can be used during Primitive in addition to Modern rifle season and the overall length of the rifle is usually shorter than a bolt action or semi auto.

With that being said, I think an accurate setup is as important if not more than the bullet weight. If you have to worry about your bullet busting through brush to get to the deer, it may not be a shot you should be taking.

Also, it seems to me, the term brush gun has overtime been used to describe guns that aren't necessarily the top choice for longer range hunting, ex. .30-30, .44 mag, etc. almost like it was a qualifying statement for that choice of round. I vaguely remember reading an article as a teen, similar to the one discussed above, coming to the conclusion that there was no significant to any of the rifles tested over another when contacting "brush". Some calibers/rounds are surely much better at punching through but to what effect on the accuracy? If I remember correctly, that was the argument made by the author.