Listen Now

Run-N-Gun DVD Trailer

ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Public Hunting Land Profiles > General Public Lands Discussion > Tunica Hills WMA

Tunica Hills WMA 5,905 Acres: West Feliciana Parish

Old November 29th, 2008
Default Ridges or Valleys, where to hunt?

I have hunted Tunica for the last couple of years. So far I have taken a doe and a friend has taken a nice 6point and a spike. We see good buck sign in the "creeks" but have not yet seen a real good buck. I found a spot full of scrapes and rubs, a pinch point. It has switchcane thicket on one side, ridges on both sides, and bottle necks into another thicket. I was wondering should I set up in the "flat" and wait for him to come or try to ambush him on top of the ridge. FYI hunting out of lockon.
Old November 30th, 2008

I would drop down from the ridge top and get about half of the way down. Some ridges are bigger than others....Get close enough to be within range and consider a N. wind entrance and set up for this time of year. This will prevent you from stinking up the bottom. At the very least set up at a safe distance and see what the deer do. (observe direction and time)

If you cant make several hunts to evaluate you could always "swing for the fence" and try and set up on the trail/bottom. If things don't go well you may have to look for another spot. They learn quick and will avoid you at daylight hours.

It is hard to be patient and you may not have the time. I hunt Tunica and use a strap on Summit chair alot. It lightens the load, make you much more quiet and mobile. You can brush the area in front of you easily and use the steep ridges to your advantage. There are lots of em.

Good luck... Let me know how it goes
Old November 30th, 2008
Default walk in or atv hunters?

fishnfur,
do you walk in or do you use an atv? when i'm up hunting there, it seems like the atv hunters are 10 to 1. Do walk in hunters have a disadvantage? are most of the atvs going all the way to the back?
Old December 1st, 2008

HBryant,

Most atv hunters ride to the end of the trail and see how many are parked and work their way back. That puts pressure on the ends of the trails and little near the road.

I do both. 90% walk in, 10% ATV. I unhook the trailer/atv at the RV and get it if I need it. It is a great tool to cover alot of ground and scout the ridges along a long trail. You can also use the atv to retrieve your deer - if you can get to it.-- Advantage ATV.

There are many "not so noticable" ridges that can be entered along the road. They may not be designated "named" trails and cleared paths, but that means you don't need to walk very far and it gets very little pressure. There are no manditory parking areas, as long as you are well clear from blocking the roadway. There are at least 4 "walk in only" designated trails off the road that I have noticed that get little use, keep you eyes peeled. Keep in mind you can access the entire reserve from the road.--Advantage of Walking.

I personally think there is ALOT of overlooked "good" area within 15 min. walking distance from the road.

Just my 2 cents... Good luck
Old December 1st, 2008
Default ...

I have killed several almost within sight of the truck. Don't tell anyone!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2008

THanks for the advice guys, I will definitely use it!!!