LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Louisiana's Fastest Growing Hunting Sport

Old December 15th, 2009
Board of Directors
Antler Addicts
Visit Boscoyo's Facebook Visit Boscoyo's YouTube

quote from Ricky T:Here is what a Texas hog hunter says: A hog's intelligence level is higher than a dog. Their keen sense of smell is greater than a deer along with their keen hearing. The only advantage hunters have is that a hog’s eyesight is poor. A hog is a very nomadic type of animal--here today--10 miles away tomorrow not committed to a set daily habit. With all of these traits it makes for one of the most difficult animals to pattern to hunt. Hogs are naturally nocturnal animals because their delicate skin condition (they sunburn easily). Therefore, they do not like sunlight. He also says, we put out sour grain (hog candy).

quote from WingNut:I talked to a biologist in the beginning of the season. He told me that with one pair of pigs and the rate of reporduction, also acconting fo predators and deaths naturally. That one pair male and female will produce over 5000 pigs in 5 years. Hogs are able to reproduce at 6mos of age and with liters of 15 at a time, just imagine

Both quotes are dead on. I agree and those facts are amazing. These beasts are incredibly smart and are extremely destructive to anything related to deer hunting, farming, or just the human race in general. They reproduce at a rate only equalled by rats and mice. Once they have infiltrated your area, it becomes a very difficult problem to handle and overcoming it or defeating it is an extreme challenge.
Old December 16th, 2009

we have plenty of them where i hunt, and let me tell you those buggas are smart. this is the craziest thing i've seen: i was using my clinber in one tree one year and just left it on the tree. after i would leave i'd cover it with palmettos and sticks and stuff. well i didn't get to hunt for a couple of weeks, the brush blew off my stand so it was sitting in the open. that morning i had an ol boar hog come out on me. wind was in my face, he was in front of me, he never crossed my trail to pick up my sent, but he was rootin around stopped for a second and looked straight at the boottom of my tree. stopped all of a suddden did a 360 look and was GONE. i know he didn't wind me there is no way, i'm convinced he didn't see that stand on my tree and it was different so he was outa there.

as far as them being roamers, i can catch some on camera, same time every time they show up. you'll see them same ones for a week or so then you don't see them anymore.
Old December 17th, 2009
Cajun Carnivores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing_Nut View Post
Double j. Its almost impossible to get rid of all the hogs on your property. Hogs are constantly on the move and arent animals that stay on one piece of land long. As far as trapping. Make sure the bottom of your trap is covered with mud and leaves to make it feel like the ground. If the pig feels the metal/wire he wont go in, no matter what you have in there. As far as bait. jello is good but i found that buck jam (corn flavor), which is sold at walmart is awesome. They seem to not be able to resist it. Pour a little pile of corn and drench it with the jam.
I talked to a biologist in the beginning of the season. He told me that with one pair of pigs and the rate of reporduction, also acconting fo predators and deaths naturally. That one pair male and female will produce over 5000 pigs in 5 years. Hogs are able to reproduce at 6mos of age and with liters of 15 at a time, just imagine.
That is not all. As soon as one litter is weaned, they breed again. Each sow will produce several litters each year.