Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Deer Hunting

Deer Hunting Louisiana's Elite Deer Hunting Community

Old June 13th, 2015
Executive Member
Backstrap Bloodhounds
Visit Bullet's Facebook

Good kills Jay
Old June 13th, 2015

Great job and an absolute great accomplishment. Continue to take whatever deer you want and please post the pics/story. We are hunters and its a shame sometimes people on here forget what we are.
Old June 13th, 2015
Executive Member
Bad Country Snipers

Congrats Again Jay!
Old June 13th, 2015
Bruiser Bowl Champions
Apostles of Ardennes
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeMieux View Post
I decided to start this thread instead of continuing to hijack another. Apparently I never congratulated Qrole on his first traditional archery kill thread, even though I was with him on that hunt. I guess that could mean we are in the same clique or should I say wolf pack? Regardless it's quite an accomplishment harvesting a deer with traditional equipment. As any of you who have killed with a traditional bow know, there's a big difference between getting a deer in trad bow range and actually harvesting one. So much can go wrong at the time of the shot that even the easiest chip shots can go awry. I know this from both personal experience and experience gained from other very successful trad hunters who I consider to be friends. Shoot, I guess that's another clique. Q, I know this was a special harvest for you even though you do in fact have a wall full of big bucks of your own, many of which are bow kills. Then, on top of all that, you quickly followed it up by harvesting a 7 pt buck. Killed in the middle of a swamp and recovered in the water at that. I mean, we're not talking about shooting Kentwood spikes with a rifle here, this is hardcore stuff.

BUT, with all that being said, I would have let both walk. I guess it's the old school conservationist in me. I have let hundreds of deer pass while in a Tensas tree with the old recurve. I attribute that to my extensive training as a State Constable Sheriff's Airborne Park Ranger Justice of the Peace! That was one **** of an academy, but I pulled through and learned so much. Although, while trad hunting, I did finally see a 27 pointer that was worthy of the ol' TorchIgnitor's arrow. I was set up in a MB staging area over looking a primary scrape the size of a '59 Cadillac hood. There were several does in the area, but I wasn't concerned with them since I had already done my meat killing elsewhere. Every true bowhunting woodsman knows if you want to kill an MB, you don't kill his ladies in his bedroom. Back to the 27 pointer or was it 35? Regardless, it was every bit of 503 pounds on the hoof. As he approached the scrape I was set up 63 yards off of, (chip shot for the ol' recurve) I slowly drew my bow. Unfortunately, in my haste I forgot one very important detail! You see, I hit the woods at 1:47 that morning and walked to the stand with no light and on my hands backwards in order to minimize noise. Naturally I couldn't carry much so I put my John Rambo survival knife in my teeth. That's the unfortunate part. When I drew on the 48 pointer, my bow string caught the blade and broke. I smiled and watched the large buck run off, knowing that I would just chock this up as another pass and try to pass it off as being just as much an accomplishment as a kill to those inferior beings on the internet.
I don't post much at all here anymore for various personal reasons, but this could possibly be the greatest **** story I've read since I joined back in '09. Thanks for sharing bro!!!! (It's strange though, because it all sounds so familiar. Ya know, like I've heard it over and over and over before).
Old June 14th, 2015
Bayou Bucks Pro Staff
Bayou State Boneheads
Visit Deon Herpin's YouTube

Congrats again Q on a great accomplishment. Any deer with a trad bow is a special moment. I'm still stuck on the training wheels. Lol.
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2015
Executive Member
Bayou State Boneheads
Default Accomplishments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deon Herpin View Post
Congrats again Q on a great accomplishment. Any deer with a trad bow is a special moment. I'm still stuck on the training wheels. Lol.

Thanks Deon. I owe a lot of credit to the guys who pushed me to stick with it & helped me along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 14th, 2015
Board of Directors
Backstrap Bloodhounds
Thumbs up BIG CONGRATS

Congrats on the 2 Trad Kills Jay. Not many hunters can say they have accomplished harvesting what the late Fred Bear deemed as the toughest big animal to hunt on the North American Continent; then with just a stick & string to boot.

Well done man, I hope to accomplish the same one day, Lord willing.

Something to definately be proud of.
Old June 14th, 2015
Visit WHW's YouTube

Deer hunting is a challenge no matter what you choose to hunt with but doing it with a traditional bow is, in my opinion, the most satisfying and personally rewarding. Congratulations, Jay, for taking on that challenge and being rewarded for you efforts. Best wishes for many more tradbow kills.
Old June 14th, 2015
Executive Member
Bayou State Boneheads

Thanks Lyle & Mr. Warren, the support means a lot. I agree that hunting with traditional equipment is the ultimate challenge in big game hunting! Appreciate it guys & I wish continued success to all you guys as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 15th, 2015
Executive Member

Much passive aggressive, so adult, wow
Attached Images