Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Old November 23rd, 2008
Bayou Stalker
Default New to Tunica

I'm thinking of spending several days in a row out in Tunica after Thanksgiving. I have never been there other than to do the waterfall hike about 15 years ago. I'm thinking I will concentrate on the north tract. Any tips or hints would be appreciated.
Old November 23rd, 2008
Bayou Bucks Pro Correspondent

I don't hunt the management area but the land is very similar to mine which is 2 miles away. The hills are bad but so are the deer. There are some good bucks taken every year from there. I would find a good switchcane thicket and try for a close shot. Those deer aren't stupid, particularly the older ones. I hear they move around in those thickets but shots are hard to come by because of the cover.
Old November 25th, 2008
Bayou Stalker

I'm thinking about the south track along the creek. I don't have a 4 wheeler, so I will be walking into the wma. If anyone else has some pointers, or thinks along the creek is a waste of time, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old November 27th, 2008

I have hunted Tunica for several years now. It can be discouraging because of the terrain and random pressure. Tips that I have learned. Don't hunt in the bottoms. The steep hills will make getting the wind right difficult in the bottoms. Walk a main ridge system and scout all of the offshoots or "fingers" as I call them. Set up at the upper 3rd or half way down the finger. Let the deer come to you.

Try and find a topo map or software on a GPS that will give you a good lay of the land. Randomly walking up and down those hills will suck quick. There are many places that you can walk in and have a chance. I am up there quite a bit. There are some very good deer in the hills.... Just got to spend the time. All things will change a bit during the rut and the previously hidden deer will start to move and can be seen during daylight hours. Good luck.
Old November 28th, 2008
Default ....

Absolutely good tip from fishnfur. Don't forget the phrase "let the deer come to you." It may not make a lot of sense now but after hunting there a while it will.
Sponsored Links