Listen Now

Run-N-Gun DVD Trailer

ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Public Hunting Land Profiles > General Public Lands Discussion > Tensas River NWR

Tensas River NWR 64,012 Acres: Madison, Tensas, & Franklin Parishes

Old November 7th, 2015
Default Steppin' on toes

After 3 long years of patiently waiting. I will finally be able to come up to Tensas for the first time. Any advice on setting up in a location where I won't be bothering anyone. I figure away from the main roads and atv trails would be a good place to start, I just don't want to come walking up on someone when I am trying to find a place to hunt. I won't be able to come up and scout until around Christmas due to work. Will be staying at the Big Lake Campground. Any advice or direction is much appreciated!
Old November 7th, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaybackbuck View Post
After 3 long years of patiently waiting. I will finally be able to come up to Tensas for the first time. Any advice on setting up in a location where I won't be bothering anyone. I figure away from the main roads and atv trails would be a good place to start, I just don't want to come walking up on someone when I am trying to find a place to hunt. I won't be able to come up and scout until around Christmas due to work. Will be staying at the Big Lake Campground. Any advice or direction is much appreciated!
It's 86,000 acres. Stuff happens. You may not see a soul all week in the woods. If you do just try to skirt around them with the same respect you'd hope they'd show you. I've never walked up on anybody but after a sit I wanted to do a little scouting. Caught some movement and couldn't figure out what it was so I eased that way. Ended up being a guy packing up after climbing down. We had hunted about 200 yards apart and never knew it. No big deal until the guy told me he and his cousin had hunted that spot for years and he had 8 lock ons in that area. Other than that I've never seen a soul in the woods,but I only hunt weekdays so I'm sure that helps.
Old November 7th, 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunhorn View Post
It's 86,000 acres. Stuff happens. You may not see a soul all week in the woods. If you do just try to skirt around them with the same respect you'd hope they'd show you. I've never walked up on anybody but after a sit I wanted to do a little scouting. Caught some movement and couldn't figure out what it was so I eased that way. Ended up being a guy packing up after climbing down. We had hunted about 200 yards apart and never knew it. No big deal until the guy told me he and his cousin had hunted that spot for years and he had 8 lock ons in that area. Other than that I've never seen a soul in the woods,but I only hunt weekdays so I'm sure that helps.
I really appreciate that. I will be hunting weekdays as well while I am in from offshore. I know alot of guys have put in hard work to find the spots that they are in. I am ready. I have been deer hunting for the last week out here on the rig. I can't get it off my mind. Lol. When they say the stand can't be left in the hunting position? That means I will need to remove my climber from the tree completely everyday? or can I just leave it at the bottom of the tree? Thanks for the advice.
Old November 7th, 2015

Well by the letter of the law, its supposed to not be connected to the tree. I personally leave mine at the bottom attached to the tree. If a GW comes back to where I am and finds it, I'll take the ticket, or keep walking. Also, you're supposed to have your name on the stand I believe. I'm sure they'd give you a ticket for your stand being attached to the tree. But I've seen more than a few left for weeks at a time. No game cams also, but once again, you'll see one every now and again. If you're hitting it around Christmas, you're hitting it right.

Also, you said you're staying at Big Lake. In case you don't know, they have nothing there amenities wise. You have Hunters Bend campground that has electricity if you want it and showers. Also have some cabins. Just depends on what area you'll be hunting. I don't know if Big Lake campground has any burglaries, but there are a lot of trucks in and out of there. At Hunters Bend I feel like my tent and belongings are more secure.
Old November 7th, 2015

I was looking in to Hunter's Bend Campground to begin with, but the phone number I was given had been disconnected. If you have some contact information that will be great. I have heard that Christmas or after is the right time of the year to head up there. I have studied a map for days on end and I am unsure of what area I am actually going to set up in. Probably somewhere off the Mill Rd. I have even thought about a few other areas, but I would need to cross the river to have a shorter walking distance to remote locations. Thinking of parking on the side of the road and dragging my small jon boat or something down to cross over in. I really have no idea though. I think this year is going to be alot of trial and error. If you see a guy in a big blue Toyota Tundra that looks lost..... That is probably me. LOL. I have also been looking in to the Sabine WMA since it is right up the road from my house. I have never hunted public land though, so it is all new to me.
Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2015

I'll be up there the week after Christmas and 3 trips in January. Let me know when u go and I can help u out. Been hunting there 24 years. I have a black tundra if u see it or pm me Ur number. Even the bout of the way spots have people. We walk an hour but its public so no big deal. I leave my stands on base of tree also. Even have two lock ons I chained to tree and lost key so they been there two years
Old November 10th, 2015
Executive Member
Devastation, Inc.
Visit Crawl79's Facebook Visit Crawl79's Twitter

Tensas is not somewhere we have problem getting away from crowds. Just be respectful of others and go looking for some spots of your own.
Old November 10th, 2015
Board of Directors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl79 View Post
Tensas is not somewhere we have problem getting away from crowds. Just be respectful of others and go looking for some spots of your own.
How many acres 86,000? And we meet up with Bayou Buck scouting and texting each other pictures of sign we found. Ended up the same sign and hunted 180yds apart. And met another like minded hunter because of Tensas. It gets small fast. LOL
Old November 10th, 2015
Executive Member
Devastation, Inc.
Visit Crawl79's Facebook Visit Crawl79's Twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowFreak View Post
How many acres 86,000? And we meet up with Bayou Buck scouting and texting each other pictures of sign we found. Ended up the same sign and hunted 180yds apart. And met another like minded hunter because of Tensas. It gets small fast. LOL
Haha, true story but you got your buck!

I have hunted off and on in Tensas since I was a teenager have only seen a few bow hunters in the woods where I hunt and gun hunts have had some big groups hunting nearby but luckily haven't had issues of people hunting on top of us.
Old November 10th, 2015

You would think 86,000 acres u could spread out good. Problem is there's a lot of great deer hunters that go. And they all hunting the best spots and sign. Unless ur very lucky, somebody gona find Ur spot eventually. It can suck or u can make a new friend!! I have seen a lot of good deer killed close to roads and a lot far back. They thinning a lot of woods on north section now and its a mess and makes even less room til it gets thick again. If u can find an oak tree dropping ull kill. We didn't see but two in two miles of walking.