Run-N-Gun DVD Trailer

ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Fishing > Offshore Fishing

Offshore Fishing Tuna, Snapper, Amberjack, Cobia, Etc.

Old September 19th, 2013
Default How much $$ to get into the off shore game?

I am not familiar with off shore fishing as I have only been once but I had a blast doing it. I got a bunch of friends together and chartered a 60' boat from Steve Tomeny. I am planning on taking several fishing trips this coming summer to narrow down my needs and I would like to start looking at boats / equipment so I can familiarize myself with things.

You all will know better than me so if you see me say something foolish, feel free to straighten things out and advise. I am looking for a boat that will take me 30ish miles out with all of the proper equipment for safety. Safety is a key word here. I would like to be able to hook up to rigs and fish. And, that is the extent of my knowledge at this point.
Old September 19th, 2013

With the economy the way it is now, it's the perfect time to purchase a Boat. The prices are way below market value. Do a lot of research and don't settle on the first one you see. Shop around and find the best deal available / their out there. Plan on a budget and then throw it out the window! lol - but it's worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old September 19th, 2013
Executive Member
Bad Country Snipers

I've done a lot of it. I don't think I could put a dollar figure on it but by the time your done with boat, truck, gear etc expect $100,000 plus. Just depends on boat, do you want to trailer it, keep it at marina, new or used boat. Too many variables to give you a number

Old September 19th, 2013
Banned

Cant really say either but you should be good around 50k depending on how crazy you go on a boat.
Old September 19th, 2013
Executive Member
Bounty Hunters
Visit Choupic's YouTube

My buddy has a boat that he keeps in grand isle . I think he paid something like 80 - 100,000 for his boat , but the crazy thing is he said for him to go down there and take his boat and fish it takes 1600 - 2000 dollars per trip ! Lol What he usually does is gets a few people together or most times people know he has the boat and will call him and set up a trip for X amount of dollars . Nothing is for free he says ! Lol
Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2013
Outdoor Freaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choupic View Post
My buddy has a boat that he keeps in grand isle . I think he paid something like 80 - 100,000 for his boat , but the crazy thing is he said for him to go down there and take his boat and fish it takes 1600 - 2000 dollars per trip ! Lol What he usually does is gets a few people together or most times people know he has the boat and will call him and set up a trip for X amount of dollars . Nothing is for free he says ! Lol
Yea for me to take one of my boats offshore with a group of friends cost me 700-1500 a over night. Depending on which boat I take.

But I love it.. I started with one boat 26ft Boston whaler. Now I have 3 an they all range in size from 30 to 42 ft center consoles.

Just my gear in my personal boat (reels, Rods, baits and line) I have over 6500 in them.. Luckily I leave them at my camp so having to pull them down is
A gas saver..

Old September 19th, 2013
Board of Directors
Visit firecapt186's Facebook

I did it for 4-5 years back in the mid to late 90's. There's not many oil rigs from just west of the Atchafalaya to the Mississippi that I haven't dove under. It had gotten to the point that the cost vs the benefit just wasn't worth it to me, creel limits went down and sizes went up. If you can get in a decent boat for around 25-30K, figure about $500 or more per trip for fuel, we'd burn around 100 gals per trip, ice and bait. This isn't figuring the cost of rods and tackle, you can pick rods and reels up at area pawn shops. Then if you get into diving $$$$.

Just remember this, the two best days of a "salt water" boat owners life is the day they get it and the day that they get rid of it.
Old September 19th, 2013
Bayou Bucks Pro Correspondent
Visit Spencer Rossie's Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtech82nd View Post
Cant really say either but you should be good around 50k depending on how crazy you go on a boat.
Ha you'll be spending 50k in motors alone (if you're lucky). He's talking off shore...a 23' bay boat with a 250hp ani't gonna swing it..not even if it was twin 250's.

A fishing ready full rig with equipment and electronics is gonna push far over 100k. AND you still don't have any fuel in it..you'll be spending close to 1k for every weekend trip.

If you plan on just making "several" trips stick to chartering. The only real reason you would want your own rig is if you plan on going **** near every weekend (including winter) and have plenty buddy's to pitch in on expenses. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket to buy your own rig- chartering is the way to go.
Old September 19th, 2013
Chairman

Unless your planning on fishing a lot, or have too much money and need to write it off, your much better off chartering a boat. Doesn't mater if your talking about a bay boat or an offshore fishing boat.

If you do the numbers you will understand. Insurance, up keep, gear, truck, note, fuel, storing your boat. And then calculate trip cost. If you aren't fishing around five times a month, charter boats are way cheaper and usually on the fish.

Down side to chartering is you can't say "hey lets go fishing tomorrow"!
Old September 19th, 2013
Executive Member
Bounty Hunters
Visit Choupic's YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Rossie View Post
Ha you'll be spending 50k in motors alone (if you're lucky). He's talking off shore...a 23' bay boat with a 250hp ani't gonna swing it..not even if it was twin 250's.

A fishing ready full rig with equipment and electronics is gonna push far over 100k. AND you still don't have any fuel in it..you'll be spending close to 1k for every weekend trip.

If you plan on just making "several" trips stick to chartering. The only real reason you would want your own rig is if you plan on going **** near every weekend (including winter) and have plenty buddy's to pitch in on expenses. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket to buy your own rig- chartering is the way to go.
Yes , this is true . My buddy has had several boats too and he has graduated to this bigger boat . His main goal in the beginning was to start running his own charter business . He's pretty much set now and is suppose to start some time next year doing his thing in the charter fishing business .