Listen Now

Run-N-Gun DVD Trailer

ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Public Hunting Land Profiles > General Public Lands Discussion > Dewey Wills WMA

Dewey Wills WMA 61,871 Acres: Catahoula & LaSalle Parishes

Old June 10th, 2014

I'm not 100% sure on this but I don't believe you will be able to use your trolling motor in greentree. I have always been under the impression that all motors including trolling motors are off limits in there so I would double check that before you go in there, would hate for you to get a ticket for that
Old June 10th, 2014
Cajun Carnivores

Thanks very much for all the help. By the looks of it, its a park at the parking lot and walk to the holes? No boat or 4 wheeler? I have no problem with walking if that's what i gotta do. I will make a hunt out there and give it a try this season.
Old June 11th, 2014
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDIZZ View Post
Get there early, don't be playing around gathering your stuff up!! You should not have a problem, except the 2nd & 3rd holes on the left and the last two on the right end that TH has circled. I have, however hunted with several groups in the bigger potholes and both had success. Don't go to the 1st hole, everybody has to pass thru this one to get to all of the others on that row.

Late season tip, sleep late, be waiting on the levee at 9:30am. Wait for some people to come out and find out which hole they were in. The big ducks come in around 10:30-12pm, when all the boats crank up and leave at Catahoula Lake!
That's also the best time to hunt Catahoula Lake, even on flight days.
Old June 11th, 2014
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
Thanks very much for all the help. By the looks of it, its a park at the parking lot and walk to the holes? No boat or 4 wheeler? I have no problem with walking if that's what i gotta do. I will make a hunt out there and give it a try this season.
No!!!! Use a boat! Most people take tippy canoes, also known as pirogues but others take small aluminum boats. You can walk to the closest holes but other hunters will be walking through your hole all morning to get to their hole.
Old June 11th, 2014
Cajun Carnivores

Thank you very much thunder head. I will bring my boat out there. I just have to get some papers on it to stay legal with it having the trolling motor.

Do you go down the canal rd to get there or best to come off muddy bayou and go around?
Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2014
Chairman

Quote:
Thank you very much thunder head. I will bring my boat out there. I just have to get some papers on it to stay legal with it having the trolling motor.

Do you go down the canal rd to get there or best to come off muddy bayou and go around?
I've always gone down the canal road, crossed the Hunt Oil bridge, stayed on that road until it comes to a T, take a right, and then the first left. Double check on the trolling motor reg. I've always used a pirogue.
Old June 12th, 2014
Cajun Carnivores

Thank you very much. I will check into the regs.
Old June 12th, 2014
Cajun Carnivores

I have to have my papers for my boat with the trolling motor. I guess that cancels that out for me. I will be walking in there now.
Old June 12th, 2014
Board of Directors
Visit JDIZZ's Facebook

Quote:
I have to have my papers for my boat with the trolling motor. I guess that cancels that out for me. I will be walking in there now.
Throw that boat in the back of your truck and bring a good paddle. The boat road gets over waist high and is a pain to get far back off of the levee. It doesn't look very far, but believe me, on foot, you don't want to walk that!!!
Old June 12th, 2014
Cajun Carnivores

I didn't think of that. I sure could paddle the boat back there to get to a good hole and wouldn't have to pack all the gear.