Listen Now

Run-N-Gun DVD Trailer

ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > General Outdoor Discussion

General Outdoor Discussion Archery, Shooting, Game Management, Gear, Camping, etc.

Old October 1st, 2010
Board of Directors
Default Curing a snake skin?

Hey guys anybody on here got any advice or recipe for curing a snake skin? I have two 5 foot rattlin snakes we have killed recently and would like to preserve the hides.
Old October 1st, 2010
Bayou Bucks Pro Correspondent
Antler Addicts

I buy the kits from VanDykes taxidermy. There are pretty easy to use and come with directions. I actually have a rattler in the freezer that I havent gotten to yet.

Search their website www.Vandykestaxidermy.com
Old October 2nd, 2010
Board of Directors
Visit firecapt186's Facebook

I've used the reptile cure stuff from Van Dykes, it works good and easy to use. What ever you do, don't put salt on it.
Old October 4th, 2010
Chairman

Depends on if you want it dry or moist when you're done. You want to use them for something or just hang them at the camp, etc.? I have a recipe that came from Sweetwater TX, which is the home of the big snake roundup. It's a method that leaves them soft and moist. If you want it, let me know and I'll post it.
Old October 4th, 2010
Board of Directors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhead View Post
Depends on if you want it dry or moist when you're done. You want to use them for something or just hang them at the camp, etc.? I have a recipe that came from Sweetwater TX, which is the home of the big snake roundup. It's a method that leaves them soft and moist. If you want it, let me know and I'll post it.
Lookin to hang them for display. I was told one time to use anti freeze done one like that and had to throw it away. I am going to order one of those kits from VanDykes as suggested and try that but am also willing to try other "recipes" LOL. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2010
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WSM View Post
Lookin to hang them for display. I was told one time to use anti freeze done one like that and had to throw it away. I am going to order one of those kits from VanDykes as suggested and try that but am also willing to try other "recipes" LOL. Thanks
The recipe I have uses glycerin and keeps the skin very soft. I'll post it in case you or someone else wants to try it. It works. I kept a rattlesanke hide rolled up in a ziplock bag for several years after I tanned it. I finally found someone to make me a gunsling with it. Turned out great.

---Skin snake, split hide down the belly. Scrap all fat and tissue from inside of hide. Wash hide in warm soapy water then rinse in clean water. Dry off and soak 4 hours in heavily salted water. Rinse hide in clean water. Dry off and put in a solution of 4 parts glycerin to 1 part water. Leave 4 and 1/2 days for large hides and 3 and 1/2 days for small hides. Remove and wipe off with rag. Hang in shady place for several days, unrolling hide every day.

---I used a mason jar to soak mine in. I used 4 small bottles of glycerin that can be bought at any Wal-mart, K-mart, or drug store. They keep it where the bandaids and wound dressing is. Glycerin is used to keep burns moist.
Old October 4th, 2010
Board of Directors

you can go to the leather pouch in lafayette and buy the reptile curing liquid not sure of its price but i know the one for mammal hides is like $50
Old October 4th, 2010
Executive Member
Treetop Assassins
Visit CKC's Facebook Visit CKC's YouTube

I did tanned a snake skin just last month. The most important part is to scrape all the flesh off the inside. I soaked it in white vinegar and salt water for a day or two to kill any bacteria then took it out and rinsed it off real good. I laid in on a board good and flat with the flesh side up and tacked it down and let it dry for a day, then applied an equal mix of glycerin and rubbing alcohol twice a day with a paint brush for 3 or 4 days. After that take the skin and lay it between some paper towels and put it between two boards with something heavy on top to draw out the unneeded moisture. I left it like that a couple of days. It is pretty soft and looks good. I'm going to make a gun sling with mine as well.
Old October 4th, 2010
Board of Directors

thats good information and alot cheaper than store bought curing chemicals....
Old October 4th, 2010
Executive Member
Treetop Assassins
Visit CKC's Facebook Visit CKC's YouTube

The hardest part was finding the liquid glycerin. I thought that they would have it at a pharmacy, but all they had there was glycerin suppositories and a little tube of it that you... well I'll let you figure out what the tube of glycerin is used for. I found a 6 ounce bottle of liquid glycerin at Hobby Lobby, you could do a few snake skins with that bottle.