Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Duck Hunting

Duck Hunting Whenever They Make it This Far South

Old September 9th, 2011
Default Lake Martin FYI

I read some misinformation that prompted me to join this site. The whole area around LM is either privately owned or leased. The Nature Conservancy (TNC) runs the state owned open water. LDWF helps them with weed control sometimes as well. There is no walk in hunting there. The only public hunting allowed is inside the levee and in the canal at the end of the road. There is no shooting off the levee/path around the lake. The canal is owned by the state also. You can legally hunt the canal by boat but if you step onto land you are trespassing. I contacted TNC and they no longer allow new blinds to go up unless you own a house on the water. You either have to inherit one or own a house on the lake. There is no public "sanctuary". Many people hunted the area before TNC took over. An oil company owned much of the land surrounding LM before this and allowed/didn't care/ hunting. Nowadays it is leased for a pretty penny. Please respect the landowners and leaseholders in the area. I'm not trying to threaten anyone, I'm just stating facts that no one said earlier.
Old September 9th, 2011
Connais Pas

In other words it is open to the public but the permanent blinds are privately owned in the lake?

Boat blinds are allowed on the lake?

I have no interest in hunting there, just like to know.
Old September 9th, 2011
Board of Directors

I think everyone was only talking about hunting the lake itself, not the surrounding area. Are you saying only the very few people with houses on the lake are allowed to put up blinds? What about boat blinds since they are not permanent.

We posted at the same time connais pas.
Old September 9th, 2011
Board of Directors

sounds like they saying stay out
Old September 9th, 2011
Board of Directors

if it's state owned water you should have no prob with a boat blind as long as it's not perm at least that's what I would think
Sponsored Links
Old September 9th, 2011
Visit Montauk17's Facebook

Lake martin is a very small area to hunt. Not worth the headache to get into it with the locals,trust me. You are better off hunting indian bayou or wax lake.
Old September 9th, 2011
Board of Directors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Lake martin is a very small area to hunt. Not worth the headache to get into it with the locals,trust me. You are better off hunting indian bayou or wax lake.
You are right. I fished it alot when i lived in Lafayette and did well there on bass. I caught alot of funny looks from locals with fish i took out of that place. It gets alot of pressure but has some nice bass.
Old September 9th, 2011

Boat blinds and pirouges are fine. If you want to hunt blinds make arrangements with land owners or blindholders. When TNC took over they allowed existing blinds to be grandfathered in.
Old September 9th, 2011
Visit Montauk17's Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaginCagin View Post
You are right. I fished it alot when i lived in Lafayette and did well there on bass. I caught alot of funny looks from locals with fish i took out of that place. It gets alot of pressure but has some nice bass.
Yeah there is some big bass lurking in lake martin. I caught one over 7 and my neighbor caught one over 9. Also,you can't fish till noon during duck season.
Old September 9th, 2011

Just in case some of you guys were wondering who owns what around lake martin . Heres a free link to see who owns what in st martin parish.
http://www.stmartinassessor.org/ if you click on web map and accept the terms it will bring up a map and if you know where lake martin is. You can zoom directly in on that location. Also if you go to Table of contents in the top left corner you can turn on the aerial map. I use this tools to pull tracts when i survay land. Its a valuable too for hunters also. it looks like the TNC owns the majority. Good luck tomorrow guys

Cut em all