Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Forum BayouTube Classifieds Blogs Groups Members Contests

Go Back   Bayou Bucks Hunting Community > Louisiana Hunting > Deer Hunting

Deer Hunting Louisiana's Elite Deer Hunting Community

Old December 13th, 2009
Default Deer Hunting with .44 Mag Carbine

Does anyone have any thoughts on a 44 carbine for deer hunting? I bought one and plan on trying it out.
Old December 13th, 2009
Chairman
Rut Reckers

Will flat thump them man. Yardage is limited, but for woods hunting you have a killing machine with a fast followup shot. Beretta just layed one out in its tracks with a .44 pistol last night.

BTW, they are very collectable rifles also.
Old December 13th, 2009
Banned
Default I hunt with one

I have a 44 mag ruger carbine and absolutely LOVE it! I've yet to kill with it but I've no doubt it'll do the job.
Sweet Sweet lil gun!!
Old December 13th, 2009
Executive Member
Bad Country Snipers

Great gun, just plan on shooting about 75-100yds max. It will get the job done.
Old December 13th, 2009
Board of Directors
Default That would be me

Going on year 4 I believe - I have used my Ruger semi auto 44 mag for deer. This carbine really does hammer them down immediately in the thickets.

I load for the 44 magnum, and I believe it greatly improves performance. All of my shots have exited and internal damage is unbelievable. I load super hot loads, but within saami specs. I load 24 grains of Hodgdon 110 with CCI magnum primers and 240 grain Nosler JSP's. ( NOT JHP).

I once soaked 9 New Orleans phone books tied together in water for a week. Shot this load into the bundle @ 50 yds. Also same load with Speer JSP's, and Rem JSP's. The Speer went 9 inches, others went 8. I hunt with the Noslers.

The Ruger semi auto is not made any more. I have the Deerfield with the Garand style action.

44 Magnum ammo on the shelf are mostly made for pistols, and they cannot load that hot round I load because they have no clue who is going to use it. They have to assume the weakest, cheapest pistol ever made might use it and thus liability comes into play.

Loading bypasses all that.
Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2009
Banned
Default noticed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Going on year 4 I believe - I have used my Ruger semi auto 44 mag for deer. This carbine really does hammer them down immediately in the thickets.

I load for the 44 magnum, and I believe it greatly improves performance. All of my shots have exited and internal damage is unbelievable. I load super hot loads, but within saami specs. I load 24 grains of Hodgdon 110 with CCI magnum primers and 240 grain Nosler JSP's. ( NOT JHP).

I once soaked 9 New Orleans phone books tied together in water for a week. Shot this load into the bundle @ 50 yds. Also same load with Speer JSP's, and Rem JSP's. The Speer went 9 inches, others went 8. I hunt with the Noslers.

The Ruger semi auto is not made any more. I have the Deerfield with the Garand style action.

44 Magnum ammo on the shelf are mostly made for pistols, and they cannot load that hot round I load because they have no clue who is going to use it. They have to assume the weakest, cheapest pistol ever made might use it and thus liability comes into play.

Loading bypasses all that.
I had problems with mine ejecting factory loads.. That went away after I had a box reloaded.. MAJOR difference.
Old December 13th, 2009
Board of Directors
Default Copy That Load

I posted- 24 grains of H110 with a 240 g JSP bullet. Maybe you can get someone to load that especially if you supply the components. Save that Brass by all means.

I have a different load for my Super Blackhawk. 23.4g of IMR 4227 with 240g Hornady XTP. And for goofing off, I load some 180g Berry bullets with IMR 4227. I can't seem to find the amount written down right now here at home. Have not loaded that in a while.
Old December 13th, 2009

I've been using a .44 carbine Ruger for some years now as my primary woods rifle. Like most said it is pretty limited on yardage but anything w/in 100yds is easily doable. I was shooting Rem. Softpoint 170grn. but switched to Win. 140grn softpoint and noticed my group shink dramaticaly. It is a great rifle in the woods. Broadside shots usually have an exit, but dont expect one on a quartering shot.
The round does lots of damage, they usually dont run far.
Old December 13th, 2009
Default Hornaday

Has anyone ever used the lever revolution ammo
Old December 13th, 2009
Executive Member
Bad Country Snipers

They shoot great out my rifle and pistol, just haven't put any thru flesh yet.