Bayou Bucks

ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Library Telecourse News PublicLands Weather Faculty

Bayou Bucks University - Where graduation never comes, and failure's not an option.
University » Debates » Dog Hunting

Dog Hunting
Jesse Savage vs Hunter Waites
03/19/2009

round-finalb

Jesse Savage, Challenger:
I’m tired of your incoherent babble. I’ll start of by telling you a little more about myself. I have hunted a 400-acre tract of land for the past 7 years, and we are the only club in 6500 surrounding acres that does not dog hunt. We have to battle with dog hunters every year to keep their dogs from trespassing and running our deer. You may ask why I have not moved to a different club. Beyond this pollution taking place around me, I enjoy the camaraderie my club has to offer and would not want to let the smog of dog hunting push me out, although we badly suffer the effects from dog hunting pressure on our deer.

You have still taken no time to address the issue that dog hunters continue to ignore property lines, therefore leading me to believe you are in that same pool with all the other dog hunters trespassing every year. You have questioned my credibility, but instead of documenting your own facts, have beaten around the bush with a malicious ramble, blaming the Great Depression for the depletion of the deer herd during the 1920s. The Depression? You, sir, should cite your sources. Your only source throughout this debate has been that from a loud mouth redneck with zero plausibly. You’ve failed to grasp the idea that the deer dogs may not be the problem, but the community of outlaw hunters that come along with these hounds. The group doesn’t just have a few bad apples, but a bad tree.

It all boils down to the negligence dog hunters have surrounding the laws behind property lines and trespassing. I have clashed with this issue for 7 years, and year after year the problem gets worse and worse. If you would like, we could go into rounds 5, 6, 7, and 8, but all I would hear from you is the repetitive rage that comes from a likely repeat offender of all I have mentioned before, unable to admit the lack of respect your group has for trespassing laws. Let me say this diplomatically: not only is dog hunting the most unethical style of deer hunting, but it’s overwhelmed by tyrant hunters with a lack of any morality towards the sport. Throughout this debate, you have chosen to only attack me rather than take a stand for your so-called side. Have fun “shooting fish out of a barrel,” and chalk one up for the dog-hunting ban!

Hunter Waites, Defender:
I asked you in the previous round to cite the sources behind your statement: “…dog hunters acquire more violations and contribute to more wounded deer…than all other hunters combined.”  You did not, which leads me to conclude that you have no sources and what you say are lies. Your only response was to question the integrity of my information regarding the depletion of Louisiana’s deer herd in the 1920s, suggesting that my statement, “Louisiana’s deer herd was wiped out…by a massive loss of habitat,” was false.  Let me provide you an excerpt from Managing Whitetails in Louisiana, a book written by our former Wildlife Administrator, David Moreland:

“Dramatic changes took place in the Louisiana wilderness between 1880-1925.  Railroad expansion provided not only better access into the state, but also means for moving harvested timber.  Saw mills and settlements sprang up almost overnight and the vast virgin forests were cut with little concern for future generations. Deer numbers declined to an estimated all-time low of around 20,000 animals by 1925.”

As you see, sir, Louisiana’s deer herd was not wiped out by dog hunters, but by a loss of habitat, thus poking holes in another one of your weak arguments. You stated that I’ve “questioned your credibility.” I have not merely questioned it, but have illustrated through facts that you have no credibility, just like most of the people on your side of the fence.  You all act out of fear and emotion, rather than wit and reason; this ignorance has gotten us into many problems in the past.

Whether or not dog hunting is unethical depends on how unethical is defined. If using unnatural advantages and forgoing one’s own woodsmanship to actually “hunt” deer is unethical, then I suppose dog hunters would fall into the unethical category. But so would guys that sit in box stands overlooking man-made food plots, bait pile hunters, and man-drivers; I’m sure you all’s righteous selves don’t participate in any of these activities either.

Relax. I’ll be the first to admit that dog hunting is a dying sport thanks to the negative public perception you’ve helped foster.  In 1990, around 20% of Louisiana deer hunters hunted with dogs.  This number today is less than 2%. We’re likely the last generation that will participate in this great southern heritage, regardless of any legislation passed. Let’s just hope that it’s not too late to maintain the sport in moderation, or one day we’ll all look back wondering how good it must have felt to hear the walkers coming. •

Email Share Go to comments

30 Responses to: Dog Hunting

1. JDMANN    (May 11th, 2009 at 3:10 pm)

I too am a deer/dog hunter. I feel badly for Mr. Savage because he has a people problem, not a dog hunter problem. I wish I could apologize for their trangressions and make you see not all dog hunters are like these imbeciles. Yes, sometimes dogs cross your lease, and there is no way to stop that. It’s not the dog’s fault. Please, don’t paint us all with the same brush!

2. CoonAss    (May 22nd, 2009 at 4:35 pm)

My response after reading the debate is simply this. Anything that we can do to stop any form of hunting should not be done. Whether we agree with it or not, hunting is being attacked enough by animal rights and others that we as hunters don’t need to do anything to add fuel to their fire. Let’s all hunt, respect property lines and our fellow hunters. Enjoy it, quit finding out what is wrong with things and just be happy we can do it.

3. No. 2    (June 5th, 2009 at 8:40 am)

We have guys on our lease that use dogs. Doesn’t bother me when the dogs come by me but when the hunters drive right up to the stand it does. I kinda like it bc you’re able to find more area’s where deer travel with the dogs bc they’ll hit the main trails when they race starts. Had two different races come by a stand I the first day I hung it. Knew I had a good spot and the third time I hunted it I killed a doe. Can’t wait to hunt it during the rut!! Dogs made me 100% sure I was in the right spot.

4. Thunderhead    (June 10th, 2009 at 4:13 pm)

Trust me, when it comes to game violations, dog hunters are ticketed far more often than any other type of hunter. That is fact. I work with guys in law enforcement and have contact with alot of them. Deer dog hunters are a thorn in the side of every game warden both state and federal. Before lands became leased, dog hunting was not as big as a problem as it is today. When you have leases that border each other and one runs dogs and one doesn’t, there will be problems. Walker hounds will cover some ground. You can have a lease that is 5,000 acres and it WILL NOT hold walker hounds. The average lease is probably smaller than 5,000 acres so I’m sure problems exist statewide. Yes, dog hunters have the “right” to run dogs on their property. Guess what! Still hunters have the same “right” not to have dogs on their property. Dog hunting has basically been squeezed out due to land leasing. It takes a huge amount of land for dog hunting not to affect adjoining properties. It’s our duty as hunters to cull the trouble makers that make us all look bad. Look at Texas. They outlawed deer dogs statewide. Did Texas suffer from such a move? Heck no! If anything, out-of-state hunting has gone up because of the quality of hunting over there. No other form of hunting was effected. The bottom line is…..deer dogs are on their way out. More and more timber companies are outlawing them. When the negative outweighs the positives, it’s time to get rid of it.

5. Duck Assassin    (June 11th, 2009 at 9:49 am)

I’ve hunted both, still and with dogs, and enjoyed them both. The guys I dog hunted with never turned loose more dogs than they could control–usually no more than 3. They hunted their own lease and always cut off their dogs before they crossed the property lines and never left the woods without retrievng all the dogs. But I have I have also encountered dog hunters with no morals or ethics that turned loose 8-12 dogs at a time and could have cared less whether or not they retrieved them or not.
    On the other hand, in terms of still hunting, I have encountered still hunters with as little or less respect, ethics, and morals as some dog hunters. I’ve had hunters set up stands within sight of my stand after making my prescence well known and refused to relocate. I’ve returned to a stand to find a still hunter had littered the area I’d been hunting with human hair. My point is its not the means or method of hunting its the idiots. My question to Mr Savage is how can you honestly believe with any form of intelligence that dog hunting almost caused deer to be wiped out? Lack of law enforcement, market hunting and outlaws played the major role…it just happened that at that time the preferred method of hunting was with dogs. I can promise you more deer were killed at night and out of season than were ever killed with the use of dogs.

6. Thunderhead    (June 11th, 2009 at 12:55 pm)

Duck Assassin is right. Dog hunting doesn’t have a huge impact on the number of deer killed. My lease allows dog hunting but the majority of the members choose to still hunt. We kill way more deer than the dog hunters. They spend most of their time looking for dogs. The problems associated with dog hunting has never really been linked with number of deer killed. It’s the “outlawing” that gives most of them the bad rap. I know too many of them that ignore any rules pertaining to doe days. They are also known for reckless driving that has, on more than one occasion, caused accidents. They also have a tendancy to spin out and rut the roads up. They seem to get their jollies from driving fast, spinning out, and talking on radios. The biggest problem associated with dog hunting is the impact it has on still hunters, which are by far the majority. They impact them on the same lease as well as on adjoining leases. There could be things done to bring both parties together but I doubt the dog hunters would agree to the terms. First, get rid of the Walkers. Sell them to the fox pen hunters. Buy a pack of Beagles. They don’t push the game as hard and they sure as heck don’t range as wide. More deer would be killed with Beagles, assuming the standards could ever learn to stay on stand and stop trying to be the “hero” that stays in front of the dogs. Also, still hunters generally get the first 30-45 minutes after daylight to still hunt before the first tailgate drops. It would be nice if all drives stopped at 2pm to allow the woods to calm down. Still hunters could then have a somewhat more productive evening hunt, which is usually the best hunt. There is no excuse for dog hunters to hunt right up until dark and then spend all hours of the night looking for dogs. Alot could be done to improve relations between dog hunters and still hunters but I doubt things will change.

7. TD1    (July 23rd, 2009 at 11:07 am)

I would like to see other land owners do what Roy O Martin did and step in and practice QDM. They do not allow deer dogs on their property, and there must be a reason for this. On the other hand I would not like for the state step in and ban any form of hunting. Leave it to the land owner!!!!!!!!

8. David Rester    (August 16th, 2009 at 9:36 am)

it is a fact that every state that has banned dog hunting has had a massive increase in their deer heard and qulity of deer.i agree that all hunters have a place in the hunting woods.but their place should not over lap onto a still hunters property.i grew up in a dog hunting community and know the un written rules of dog hunting and one of the golden rules was to catch the dogs before they cross the road no matter if you got the deer or not.that way the neighboring land owner would not be botherd by people hunting.i was brought up being told how to hunt with dogs it seems to me that if the older dog hunters would like to keep the sport alive they need to practice and preach the un written laws of dog hunting.i gave up dog hunting when i became a young man with a son of my own and relized the inportance of of mangement also the love of one on one in the woods not 20 or 30 spectators.

9. JDyer    (August 19th, 2009 at 3:18 pm)

The near eradication of deer cannot be solely blamed upon dog hunting. Perhaps it was a factor in allowing more game to be harvested, but there were also few game laws to protect deer from overharvest and from unsporting practices. Also, many people hunted to LIVE, not for sport.

If a hunter kills his limit, does it matter whether or not the deer was running from a dog, from another hunter, or toward a pile of corn or food plot? The same number of deer are dead. Responsible clubs are going to recognize this, and tailor their own limits toward herd management, regardless of the method utilized toward that end.

The argument should not be about the ethical nature of dog hunting, but about the courtesy shown toward fellow hunters. It’s sounds easy, and I know it isn’t always the case, but neighboring hunters should try and work things out themselves before asking for more laws regulating hunting. Ultimately, we’re all in the same minority.

10. RaginCagin    (August 26th, 2009 at 11:27 am)

When I was young me and my dad hunted in the Turkey Creek area and they ran dogs every day of the year. I am not saying all are like this but these guys shot everything whether it was doe day or not. If you called the game warden on them they would cut your tires or steal your stands and this really left a bad taste in my mouth. They would drive 4-wheelers throught the woods while you were still hunting and stop right by your stand waiting for the dogs. I know it may be tradition but I am against it now. Last year while hunting near hamburg 4 walker hounds came off of a 30 acre tract of school board property and ran a doe right in front of me on the 1200 acres of qdma property I was hunting. This was one day before dog season even opened. Do you really think dogs are going to stay on 30 acres? No, it is not the dogs fault but this goes back to the mentality of the guy letting the dog go. He knew what he was doing, he is trying to push deer off of property that shoots 130″ deer or better onto property that shoots brown its down. No offense but when I see deer dogs on private property more than once I consider the as the same category as coyotes. With all of this being said there is one place that runs dogs that I think does it right and that is Sugarhouse hunt club. They have something like 8,000 acres so these dogs are safe to roam and probably wont leave the property. If it is done right and on large enought property i’m fine with it but in what I have seen that is most often not the case.

11. Dan10226    (September 14th, 2009 at 6:39 pm)

I grew up running dogs,I still hunt 90% of the time now but time to time I love to hear a good race. I hate it when someone calls dog hunters outlaws. There are just as many outlaw still hunters. He stated the surrounding clubs dogs cross their land “running our deer”. well probably the deer that are beign ran cam off the neighboring property and might have not crossed his property any other way. I guess that his eyes are better than a dogs nose at trailing a wounded deer. It should never be done away with. most dog hunters I know does everything they can to contain the dogs to a certain area, but some times the dogs slip through and when they do they make every attempt to catch them as fast as they can.

12. brunson1989    (October 8th, 2009 at 11:33 pm)

90 percent of the ppl that say they dnt like dog hunting has either not been or has been around alot of dog hunters that are outlaws not all are outlaws i have 2 bloodhounds that i hunt with but i can kill way more deer still hunting and if they outlaw dog hunting there will be 50 percent more animal rights ppl tryin to stop deer hunting period bc all the dog hunters i kno says they will stop hunting and be on the animal rights side. im just sayin still hunters dnt hear no dog hunters tryin to stop still season i think there shud be leases for dog hunting only and leases for still hunting only

13. deerhunter27    (October 15th, 2009 at 10:18 pm)

Hi I’m new on here and I’m one of the biggest deer hunter in the South. I still-hunt every chance I get, which is a lot, and I love it. But when its time to turn the hounds lose, I’m there with my pack. The sound of a race is awesome. It doesn’t matter if I kill one or not, as long as I can hear my hounds and their music, because I’m a full-blooded dog running man. But this is how my story goes. Yes, we hunt with dogs and we have rules, just like a club. We bring alot of youngsters with us, and they love it too. But we don’t kill every thing that passes. We let the kids kill a doe or if you have not killed a deer in the season. You can kill one doe, but then it’s bucks only. Some say dog hunters are outlaws, but 3 years ago I was running my dogs and was on my stand when a 60 pound doe passed. I let her go and she made it about 40 yards when shots rained out like thunder. I was hit with buck-shot in the side of face, and thought I was dead. I called my buddy to come and get me, and when he showed up I asked, “How bad is it?” He said that I would live—the buck-shot grazed by my eye and cheek. I asked my buddy who shot and he said that he didn’t know, and said there was a boat parked about 100 yards from mine. We made it back to the boats and went to the other boat to see who it was. We sat by the boat for about 30 minutes, when a hunter came out pulling the doe. I couldn’t hold it in and let some choice words fly. The story could keep going on, but I’m just letting you know that it was a still hunter. He was coming down the bayou when he heard the dogs and decided he would cut them off. It goes to show you that of the many actions still-hunters use to label us as outlaws, they themselves are capable of too.

14. BigJohn    (November 19th, 2009 at 3:16 pm)

I have read all of the comments posted and there seems to be one point missed. Nobody cares if you run dogs on YOUR land! The only problem any still hunter has is when your dog crosses that property line. Some of your comments say that you ALWAYS catch your dogs before they cross the property line. Plain and simple………….your not telling the truth! And I am being nice to say it that way. There are no excuses anymore. Your not allowed to trespass on my land. Not even every once in a while. So, if running dogs does get outlawed in the state of Louisiana, you can blame it on nobody but yourselves. You can’t control the dogs. You can’t catch them 100% of the time. And, your a minority. That is what democracy is all about. The majority rules. Deal with it!P.S. Yes, I have dog hunted many times over the years. I do know what I am talking about. I used to be one of those fools driving 80 mph down a gravel road in a lame attempt to try to cut the dogs off. A pack of dogs can travel 3 miles before you can get in your truck and start it. I respect your right to dog hunt. Just do it on your land.

15. Antelope08    (December 10th, 2009 at 10:06 am)

Well said BigJohn, I agree 100%…..

16. Cedar Lodge    (February 25th, 2010 at 10:02 am)

I have read the above stories and I was raised on hunting with dogs, deer and rabbits. I love the sport and the race and there is nothing more enjoyable than listening to some Walker dogs on a good race. I’ve been in a 7,000 acre Hunting Club in Bayou Chicot for 32 years and the President for the past 11 years. We have quit running dogs in 1986 which was our last year. Which the club as a whole decided to stop running dogs, i kept my own dogs for a few years after. Our deer herd did increase by management also. Where a deer is born, it will die within that one square mile ( 640 acres ) unless it gets killed on the high way or by hunters and if it is ran out of there by dogs, within 24 hrs. it will be back in that one square mile. But dogs cannot read Posted signs or trained to stop at a fence which this makes it hard for people to tolerate it, and i agree. They have hunting club on the side of ours that runs dogs, but they are running them less each year. I don’t like the dogs coming into our lease but i can’t blame the dogs for sure… Deer hunting with dogs is a dieing breed and I was very fortunate to have been one of them for years. Killed good deer and have great memories of the sport, wish i was still running dogs in a way but no place to run them and the season is too short, to have to feed them all year around. It’s kind of like every thing else, you have a good and a bad side of everything…

17. bmbrady77    (March 9th, 2010 at 8:32 am)

Well said Cedar Lodge. I’ve hunted with a group once or twice when I was a kid that used dogs. They fit the bill for “outlaws / shoot on movement”, ect.. I really didn’t enjoy the experience a whole lot to be honest, but thats just my opinion. Anyway, on to my point. I read this debate and the comments and I see ONE problem. Others have seen it too but most here are talking from within their own position and only see the trees. Step outside of you position on the practice of Dog Hunting and look at the big picture. The problem is property lines, and rightfully so. Each side has the right to not be trespassed upon, so what do you do. Here’s one, and only ONE idea…If a lease or group that runs dogs on a lease that is less than say 8,000 acres, have it be required to put a 4ft chain link fence around the perimieter of the property. An invisble fence wire should be buried within 3 feet of the static fence and dog owners required to fit their dogs with the appropriate shocking device that delivers an automatic pulse upon entering proximity to the wire. This way, the dogs have a barrier that is much harder to cross than a posted sign, and the deer can easily jump from one property to another. Sound harsh?? I think so too but consider this. If I decide to own a dog on MY property, it is MY responsibility to keep that dog OFF of other peoples property. I am held responsible by LAW for any actions or destruction or, yes, even DISRUPTION of anyone else’s peace caused by MY dog. It boils down to a respect for other peoples rights. If you own a dog, you have the right to do so as you wish with that dog, providing that it does not interfere with the rights of anyone else to legally hunt as they so choose. Still hunters, you have the right to hunt as you choose as well providing you don’t interfere with the dog hunters right to run his dogs in a LEGAL fashion, and on property that he has permission to run.The fence thing is an unrealistic solution, I know, but the point is to get us thinking about this..We have to quit poking at the problem and start offering ideas for a SOLUTION, or dog hunting is going to be a thing of the past pretty quick. I respect the right of dog hunters, but I also expect to see that respect returned, so let’s quit picking sides and start negotiating a way for both to co-exist.

18. nannyhunter    (March 27th, 2010 at 10:04 am)

having read these comments i have noticed that the main theme seems to be trespassing by the dogs or hunters that is addressed the most, however the main issue that i have with those who run dogs on our lease is that they run year round. they excercise no respect for the upcoming still season including bow season where they have passed a rule allowing them to continue running at night, even in october. this practice keeps our herd primarily nocturnal…which impacts the part of the season that approx. half our members utilize….therefore they hinder those of us who pay the same money to hunt our way for their own selfish pleasure. the other issue that has not been discussed is the biological impact on the deer herd in the area. they will run late term pregnant does in the summer for hours on end and that has to account for miscarriages, then they will continue to run during fawning time running the doe away from the fawn thus leaving it vulnerable to predation. we also have the same issues of disrespect that others have addressed here but that rag has been dragged around enough. personally i wish they would stop the dog hunting today. and yes i have dog hunting experience in my backgroud, but that was before leasing and most of the private land was open as well as the public land, that is no longer the case, and the lame excuse that we have hunted this way all our life no longer carries much weight.

19. JTHOMP    (October 20th, 2010 at 11:59 am)

I believe BigJohn has made the best point in this arguement.

As for a what I think…running dogs should be leagal, but dog hunters should be held more accountable. Yes, we all know dogs can’t read signs blah blah blah, but hunters can and its unfortunate that some hunters take advantage of the fact their dogs will run a deer past property lines.

Some dogs hunters will drop tailgates from one field, lets the dogs go through a piece of property that they are’t allowed to hunt, and wait on the other side of the property to kill anything that jumps out. Sadly, this is technically legal, and it’s a shame that couteous dog hunters get a bad rep because of people like this. I understand that catching the dogs can be very difficult and sometimes dogs get away and onto some ones property. I’ve been deer hunting and have seen hunting dogs on my property before. Not that big of a deal, because the weren’t causing and major problems. Now be WARNED, if your dogs constanly keep running on my place and/or cause some real problems, I will kill everyone of them I see and dispose of any evidence that they were there. I know many others who will either do the same, or even drop them where they see them and not even give them a chance to cause problems. If your not going to take responsibility for your dogs then I will

20. chief1    (July 28th, 2011 at 2:33 pm)

JTHOMP , I am a still hunter and dog hunter. I agree 100% that dog hunters should be held more accountable.Just like still hunters should be held in the same regard. There are plenty a–holes in each group. As for dogs crossing property lines , yes its gonna happen, but the only deer being disturbed is the one the dogs are after. Unless the dogs just run right over a deer on your place , they will never even move. I guarantee you food plots , feeders , mineral licks and any other kind of attractant pulls way more deer off of your neighbors property , than my dogs runs off of yours.

21. dfitzmorris    (August 14th, 2011 at 9:15 am)

First of all, I’m both a still hunter (bow and rifle) and dog hunter.Addressing some of the accusations in this debate I’d like to comment on a few:1-Hunting for profit was still in existance up till the 30’s. Just go look at some of the photos in the french market in New Orleans. That combined with no hunting laws or limits, loss of habitate and the depression is a formula for the disaster in the Louisiana deer populations.2-I’ve yet to see a dog or deer that can read. There will be unintentional boundry crossings.3-I, who have also taught hunter safety courses with the LDWF was ticketed while dog hunting. Reason-I’d unintentionally come out the woods to load my three wheeler with a flat in my dads truck on a public road. After loading it I picked up my rifle off the ground about the time the warden pulled up and had failed to unload it. Result-instant ticket. Truth-I’m an ethical hunter who hates outlaws and many of the dog hunters mistakenly have such tickets while rushing off their lease to stop the dogs from getting on someone elses lease. Hence-skewed statistics.4-Dog hunters need to forget the days of large Walkers and Blue tick hounds, unless hunting deep swamps, and start using the smaller beagles. They are much slower and easier to keep up with, thus keeping them off others leases. In addition the deer are rarely running at speeds associated with large hound hunting, resulting in far fewer losses associated with this type of hunting. I speak from 44 yrs. of deer hunting experience.5-To my brother deer hunters of all types, remember, ‘divide and conquer’. This infighting among members is exactly what the Anti’s are seeking. Don’t play into their hands by letting them fester this type of argument. And trust me, they are those type of people accessing this website. If any of you want to see them, just attend a planning meeting open to the public with regards to a NWR or WMA.Good hunting,David Fitzmorris

22. Tmeche    (January 24th, 2012 at 9:25 am)

How do these deer belong to anyone?

23. pineywoodhooter    (May 23rd, 2012 at 7:09 pm)

Well, I would like to throw my two cents in to this. I killed my first deer in front of a pack of hounds. My funnest, funniest, most exciting moments in the deer woods have come after the tailgate was dropped. Its in my blood. As I grew older I noticed a lot of other people didn’t run dogs the way we did. They would have 3 or 4 packs of 5 to 10 dogs running at the same time. I thought how in the world do they head the dogs off. Where do they go to kill the deer. How do they even know which pack is running and which one is trailing. I was raised up with organized drives based on fresh made tracks(still smoking) with standers in designated spots to ensure a shot at the deer. It was like my dad was staging an assault on the enemy. He’d stand in the circle of fellow hunters and decide who would go where based on their caliber of gun and capabilities to catch the dogs if they crossed and who had a walkie talkie or not. These other folks were leaving it all to chance with disregard for property lines or who they had with them. 15 years later I am reading about how these unorganized dog hunters are jeopardizing my heritage as a “dog-hunter” before I get the chance to lead my kids in to “battle”. I wish there were laws against turning more dogs loose than necessary, or not having standers with leashes on lease lines. Don’t ban this right to hunt deer with dogs. If you want to attack dog hunters look at the idiots that take twelve dogs hog hunting. My family has hunted hogs for 100 years. A bay dog and a catch dog, not a freaking pack. Not everybody has the disciplined dog hunting background that I do. But the few of us that do hunt the right way with dogs are fixing to lose our rights due to some lack of discipline and organization.

24. drabbitman    (July 30th, 2012 at 12:17 pm)

Let me start by saying I do not run deer with dogs and do not plan to start. You said dog hunters wound more deer, that is your opinion made up in your small litte mind, because still hunters shoot more deer and can’t find them. They find a blood trail but no deer. Dog hunter if they shoot and hit it to the point where the deer is injured bad the dog will find it, the dogs dont give up like still hunters do, they will stay with that deer. You also say they mess tour hunts up. Lets see here I think louisiana has a still hunting season when the dog hunter can’t hunt, but yet when the season opens for the dogs you cry you already had your season now they allow you to hunt during their season and you still not happy. Also deer dogs do not mess your hunt up. If you dont see a deer and hear a dog you want to blame the dogs. Maybe it was a bad day or who knows why the deer did’nt move. I know you dont, your just guessing and point fingers with no facts. By the way the dog doesn’t run in 1 spot. They come in and leave, and the deer that they are not running will not leave, if you would stay on you stand you may see something you dummy. In steed you and your so call fellow sportsman want to go back to camp and cry about the dog hunters are running their dogs during dog season when you had your time to do your thing. Fact the deer they do run will come back, they are know to run the same buck 3 or 4 time a year jump him in the same place, and run him again the next year if know one kills him. If you have coyotes that is more of a problem, they hurt the deer population more than dog hunter . Bet you not doing something about that. I’ll bet still hunter do more trespassers in any given season then dog hunters do, also litter more. I see more deer corn sack all over from people like you (still hunters). And wiped out the deer population or you serious, in that case way has it not hurt the population since. It’s because they put a limet on how many you can kill.

25. GatorBayou    (August 6th, 2012 at 9:19 pm)

I have not ever hunted with dogs.I can’t say it is unethical but I can say a man should have the right to hunt his land like he wants.We should all band together to keep the few rights, we have left and agree to disagree.There are plenty of areas in the state that do not allow dogs.I do not have a vast amount of land to hunt as i see fit,so I hunt there. you got to git in where you fit in.LOL

26. hawkeye    (August 10th, 2012 at 8:40 pm)

I do not have a side here, I like to still hunt, have hunted on man drives done for me specifically. I have a story to tell concerning a hunt I made two years ago. I hunt the delta and Bayou Teche, but my family and I have a camp house in Natchitoches and I was hunting there two years ago and there was nothing moving the whole week. After I picked my hunting buddy up and headed for the camp house we was heading down the road and we like to got run off the road by three trucks speeding together chasing their dogs. Right behind them a quarter of mile we ran into the game wardens who said they were trying to find the dog hunters on this particular hunt. We headed down the road a little and a big doe jumped in front of the truck by maybe ten yards which was being chased by the dogs. We stopped because it was a close call and about that time here comes the land owner, was he mad, he was hysterical the land the doe jumped off of was his, and the dog hunters did not have permission to be on. Well about that time here comes the dogs. Well what I am saying is this is what gives people the wrong idea. It’s these circumstances that need to be avoided if dog hunters want to have the respect they need to keep their rights. I understand now that the dog hunters cannot run dogs there anymore. Again I have no side just a story of my hunting trip.

27. progator    (November 14th, 2012 at 6:57 pm)

This debate only reminds us that in life we all have options. Hunters have options too. That being you can start hunting early with the aid of a bow and arrow. Then with the use of a primative weapon. Then you can hunt with a modern firearm.
    Respect one another and allow all to have that most important option to the way they would like to hunt.
    I did hunt with dogs years back. But I am now tired of chasing dogs and would rather just enjoy the quiet.

28. Rudy_rue_31    (November 21st, 2012 at 9:09 pm)

I have 200 acres in the basin that I gained permission to hunt several years ago. My grand father and father hunted with dogs all there lives. I hunted when I was younger with dogs too, and there is nothing like hearing a good race. The only problem I have is when dog season opens, I literally can’t hunt that property anymore because of all of the pressure with dogs. I recently had to get on a lease up north because of it. I can’t hunt property that I can freely hunt and now have to pay for a lease further away.

29. redneckalltheway    (November 6th, 2013 at 5:49 am)

I guess most of you don’t remember when thy shut down deer season in the national forest back in the early 90′s for three years due to over hunting. This was a direct result that most of the private land went to leases which did not allow dog hunting. So all the dog hunters moved to the national forest. This was resulted in the deer being wiped out!
    I’ve hunted with and without dogs so I know both sides of the story. All it takes are a few bad apples for all dog hunters to be labeled outlaw! Unfortunately most are outlaws. NOT ALL! I’ve quit hunting with dogs a long time ago and I have spent a lot of time in the woods. I can hear all the gun shots from the dog hunters and can tell the hits from the misses. A couple of years ago when they almost closed the season for dogs, I overheard people talking. “We have to kill them all because we won’t have a season next year”! I heard that more than once!
    The last thing. The reason I quit hunting with dogs. The owner of the dogs I was hunting with went into the woods to retrieve his dogs. They were running four does. He shot 7 times and came out with his dogs, saying if anyone wants a deer there are 4 of them piled up back there. I left and never went back. The game wardens finally got him. Which I’m glad, but he’s still around and I’m sure doing the same thing.

30. cajuncheese    (December 12th, 2013 at 11:31 am)

Not a huge fan of running deer with dogs. If ya’ll want to run something why not coons or coyotes or hogs? I was blessed to grow up and had land to hunt in Wisconsin. It was awesome seeing 25-30 deer a night on stand and seeing one or two trucks in a 5,000 acre tract of public land all to yourself. I’ve lived in Louisiana for 7 years now and tried to deer hunt here. Its honestly a joke and don’t waste my time. You can go up to the midwest and see 5x’s more deer than you will all season down here. No management practices whatsoever unless you have a giant lease of land. Its even rare to drive around and see a deer during the daytime. I moved out in country and last week all I have seen is the neighbors dogs run through the yard all day. Gotta be a huge reason why these deer are so nocturnal and the deer cannot get mature around here.

Bowie Outfitters - Where Everything's Outdoors