Bayou Bucks

ORDER NOW

Louisiana Hunting Land
Preview DVD
Bayou Bucks University - Check It Out
LA Hunting Community - Visit Forum
Library Telecourse News PublicLands Weather Faculty

Bayou Bucks University - Where graduation never comes, and failure's not an option.
University » Telecourses » Climbing Stand Tactics for Troublesome Trees

Climbing Stand Tactics for Troublesome Trees
by Jason Aycock
11/19/2009

This BayouBucks.com hunting tutorial will show you how to overcome many common problems associated with climbing stands. These maneuvers are dangerous; proceed at your own risk. How do you climb a heavily buttressed tree? How do you adjust your climber while you’re up a tree? Watch and learn some of these tricks, and share your own.

Email Share Go to comments

11 Responses to: Climbing Stand Tactics for Troublesome Trees

1. Fartknocker258    (November 20th, 2009 at 10:37 am)

Good info Jason, keem em coming!

2. Chadabear    (November 20th, 2009 at 9:55 pm)

Dude, I have the same stand and have had to adjust the bottom tons of times…I used to have to kneel in the seat and bend over to adjust bottom…Thanks for the insight…I can’t wait to try it.

3. Meche    (November 21st, 2009 at 6:32 am)

great tips!!! thanks jason. won’t have to worry as much on finding the perfect tree!!!

4. xxProhunterxx    (November 23rd, 2009 at 10:09 pm)

Can you give us tips on how to get out of the tree when your platform falls? Heheheh!

5. Rambow    (November 24th, 2009 at 3:22 pm)

Great tips Jason. I have a Summit Cobra also. Mine came with a braided rope attached from the hand climber to the platform base to prevent it from falling to the ground while adjusting it. Sometimes it hangs up while climbing, but I wouldn’t climb without it.

6. luger306    (November 29th, 2009 at 3:59 pm)

thanks for the info I was thinking like Rambow tie a rope to the bottom

7. Bayou Buck    (November 30th, 2009 at 11:02 am)

I guess I should have mentioned that in the video. I have a stand tether connecting the pieces, but it wouldn’t really do much good if it fell away once disconnected. I don’t see a real way to reconnected it and you’d have to bear hug your way back down the tree. Like a said, it’s dangerous, but people do it, and I’ve found this to be the easiest and “least-dangerous” way.

8. Excalibur    (December 3rd, 2009 at 11:35 am)

Man, that’s good stuff right there!!!!!!!!! I often have the same problem but, I will try this next time.
    Thanks!!!!!!!

9. BuckNutz    (December 17th, 2009 at 11:53 pm)

I have lost the bottom of my stand before. Its not fun. Ever since then I make sure I have a rope connecting the to sections.

10. redivory    (July 2nd, 2011 at 8:29 pm)

thank you jason for the insightful video

11. mnormand    (November 22nd, 2011 at 9:25 pm)

Don’t ever jump off that platform that last 3-4 feet, can’t tell what’s under the leaves. A friend did just that recently and thought he broke his ankle on uneven ground.

Bowie Outfitters - Where Everything's Outdoors